Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting a Mac intake in the next few weeks. I have a question before I do though...what does it sound like?

My friend has an intake on his Honda, and I think it sounds awful. It sounds like he has a loud rumble under his hood, almost like a loud cheap exhaust sound. I thought they were suppossed to be like a whistling sound. I am not sure I want something that sounds like his.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I like mine, no loud rumble though.

Its as quiet as a kitten at the red light, but as loud as a lion when I give it full throttle as I'm passing BMW's, Mercedes, Porches, and VW Touaregs.

If it whistles look for possible air leaks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the one I heard that whistled had a problem.

Is yours a Mac? His is loud and rumbly when he is at idle. I wouldnt mind a roar when full throttle.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Mine sounds just as mountaineer described, even though I have the 4.0 OHV. No real differnce at idle, but if you step on it, you will hear the rumble/roar.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! I feel better knowing it wont sound loud and rumbley at idle, But will sound mean when I step on it.

That intake looks great 99SportX!

I think I will have to go with the Mac instead of K&N, Mac is cheaper, although I have always liked K&N's products.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
418 Posts
So the one I heard that whistled had a problem.
?
He either has a leak or a spacer between the intake and the throttle body. I heard that those things make whistling noises too.

I have the K&N and the sound is very cool. the throttle is alot more responsive. The whole engine jsut sounds a lot healthier. I'm sure you'll love the Mac. It's the same design and concept, but a lot cheaper. I'd go that way if I had to buy a new one.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
MAC for me. I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I really doubt there's a difference. They both use the same cotton filter element between 2 metal screens so I doubt one is better than the other. Actually, I've seen tests where the K&N filters let in more silicates (aka: sand) than other brands but I'm not sure about the MAC. My engine is still running strong after using it for over a year so who knows.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
from what I know there are 2 differences, 1. the MAC has a chrome tube and the K&N has a plastic one. 2. the K&N is fed approved for emissions where the MAC is not.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, true, I was just thinking about the filter itself.

When the heck is MAC going to get themselves CARB approved? I understand that it's a rather expensive process but I would think they'd do it by know.

·
Registered
640 Posts
KKM for me which is simply a S&B conical filter. Unique difference in mine from a MAC or K&N is that the end isn't a solid plate, but an additional inverted cone that is part of the filter element. Some Mustang tuner seem to prefer this brand, but I doubt it is any different.

Idle will be quiete, but you will know it's there when you put your heel to the steel.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
That looks real good! Very clean!

BTW, what ever happened to Explorer_X?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow 99SportX, that looks great!

Is there a reason to get a K&N filter? Is there that much difference in the way they are made to make one filter better over the other?

Thanks for all your replys. I cant wait to get mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts