Explorer Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just in time for boating/fishing season, I'm getting a hitch, along with electrical and electric brake controller, installed on monday! :dance:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sweet. I will be towing my boat in a few weeks also. Got to bring it home to get running for summer, then back to the lake! It is so small that I don't even know it is behind me....until I start backing up. haha

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
it was 5k lbs..it made my f-250 sag.

that was going by the owners manual and turning the air ride off before towing. its just fine.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yeah, but I mean, the more level, the better. The the front end isn't in the air that way.

If you had your air ride enabled with all that weight, it would probably have blown the rear shocks. lol

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
or the air compresser.

ahh who cares if it sags alittle...lets people think.."hmm maybe hes got a trailer full of chicks!" gotta keep'em guessing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, just un-tarped the boat from storage, now I need to give both the X and the boat a good wash...

Tow setup(I don't have the lights hooked up):

Looking good even before a wash!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That looks like a nice boat. Nice hitch also. I need to get one for my dads mountaineer, and then build one for mine once I start/finish my rollpan.

One thing you may want to do is cross the safety chains. I understand that is proper procedure for towing. That way, if the trailer comes off the ball, it will get caught in the cross pattern, and not fall farther and scrape on the ground.

I have seen my grandpa not get the trailer on the ball far enough, and when we pulled the trailer out of the water after launching the boat, it fell to the ground because the chains weren't crossed. How it didn't fall off the ball before that point is beyond me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, I usually do cross the chains, but it was a simple pull it up the driveway tow

The boat is a 98, real nice. No flaws. Grandpa owned it before me, hasn't seen much water. Want to get a bigger outboard for it though, the 7.5hp honda goes WOT while the boat isn't going too fast

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow, that must be really slow. My boat has a 9.8hp mercury, and the boat is about 12-14 feet long. Not as deep a hull as yours. Just a bare bones aluminum boat with a couple benches. I think that goes slow, so I feel your pain.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Even though it is so slow, I still am real excited to get home and cruise around on the water. I don't a have a fishing license yet, but will get one eventually.

It is just so awesome to be moving over glass smooth water. Sad thing is, my grandpas pontoon boat is faster than mine, but it has a 90hp merc.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Then lets keep talking! lol

I am going to repaint the red stripe on my boat, and I might polish the aluminum hull to shine it up like new. Can't fix the scratches though. The motor was making a clicking/knocking noise last year and I think it may have something to do with the drveshafts. Maybe I need to lubricate them or something. I don't know much about small outboards, and I don't have an instruction manula for this old thing. I find the larger ones that don't use mixed gas easier to deal with. My dad is also considering getting a used pontoon. That only has a 25hp motor, so that will be ultra slow because it is a 24 foot boat. lol

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Leave a chain dragging one time, just to see the result. Last year one chain on a friend's trailer got off, dragged long enough to wear away several of the links. Looks funny, but why doesn't anyone signal if they see it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My old 1993 4x4 4.0l 5 speed towed a 21 foot wellcraft excel with the volvo I/O with no problem for years!!

I'm looking at a pop-up for the family...and i was just asking the same question on a jeep site...i max out at 5000 lbs as well but they have these weight distribution hitches (weight dist hitches) that really help out, i hear. I need a regular hitch first i guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to get max tow load for my '97 Eddie Bauer Fordor 2WD. SOHC 6. Also, I need to change the door hinge pins in my '92 Sport. Any hints? The pwr windows both took a poop, but I can't get my hands in the door to do anything! Thanx for any help anyone can give. David.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts