Explorer Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon as I was changing my oil today I noticed a few pieces of metal magnetized to my oil drain plug. They are big enough that i am worried. This happened before two changes ago but it was only one smaller piece. Its obvious the problem is getting worse I was just hoping that somebody might have some e
xperience like this and might be able to offer insight as to what it might be off of. Thank you for your time. 2000 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow. That does not look good as those are some big pieces.
You might try to post your picture to a larger forum that will have more eyeballs on it as your question is more general about Ford engines. Someone should be able to identify those parts. I am just not familiar with the insides of a 4.0 SOHC to know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. That does not look good as those are some big pieces.
You might try to post your picture to a larger forum that will have more eyeballs on it as your question is more general about Ford engines. Someone should be able to identify those parts. I am just not familiar with the insides of a 4.0 SOHC to know.
Any recommendations for a good forum? I just joined this one after that happened. They are big gnarly chunks thats why I am worried.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good afternoon as I was changing my oil today I noticed a few pieces of metal magnetized to my oil drain plug. They are big enough that i am worried. This happened before two changes ago but it was only one smaller piece. Its obvious the problem is getting worse I was just hoping that somebody might have some e View attachment 9572 xperience like this and might be able to offer insight as to what it might be off of. Thank you for your time. 2000 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc
Those are not shavings. Hard to be sure from the photo, but they look like they are stamped sheet metal, stamped into a u shape?

Something is definitely broken and there surely are more of these bits floating about in the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts