Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2004 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 2WD not too long ago, it had the check engine light come on not too long after, had the codes ran a P0193. but I had ignored it a couple days. After a couple days, my battery was dead and after it not holding a charge overnight, went and bought a new battery. The truck was running smoothly again for a couple days and the check engine had even turned itself off. But now today I go to start it, its making a horrible ticking noise (which after doing some research could be timing chain/timing chain tensioner/ or lifters or maybe something else) I also seemed to have a small oil leak today that seemed like it came from the chain tensioner (I think) either that or some gasket, oil had fallen onto the manifold below so it had some white smoke. But since the check engine light was on again, I figured maybe I'd pull up a definitive code so I can figure out the ticking, But to no avail, the code was just the P0193 again, which is "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input".

Also to describe the ticking more, it doesn't seem to happen at startup, maybe 30 seconds after cranking over, and gets not increasingly loud but increasingly faster with the rpms, but if I keep them low or coast then it doesn't seem to make it at all. I'm honestly way more frightened with the noise than the code, I can deal it with running choppy or rich for now as I have little to no money to fix. If anybody could help me that'd be cool Thanks

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
With engine running, check to see if alternator is putting out 14.4V as it should.

With engine off, disconnect alternator to battery wire and connect the two with a multimeter in current measurement mode to see if it is leaking current to drain the battery.

Check your oil level to make sure it has enough and looks good.

Ticking noise, hard to say. See if you can approximate where it's coming from. Timing chain/tensioner rattle tends to get progressively worse over time and usually starts out happening when a cold engine is first turned on, then goes away till next startup, till it gets worse.

Did you just do an oil change? If so, maybe the engine had wear that the prior owner sought to hide by using thicker oil to temporarily quiet it. It just seems odd that you're having all these problems at once.

The chain tensioner itself isn't something that leaks oil. The cover over all that could, but it's not above the manifold. I would check the oil level and if it's not leaking bad yet, wait on that issue and focus more on battery and/or alternator issues.

If you have no money to fix it then I don't know what to suggest except that wherever the oil seems to be leaking, see if any bolts are loose and if it's a cover you might need a new gasket and/or gasket sealant on it.

Sometimes if lifters are sticking you just need to get the engine up to temperature and drive it like you stole it, heavy on the accelerator can free them up in some cases, but if the engine has other mechanical issues, that can be even harder on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts