Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have an '02 Limited with the 4.6L and the 3.73 limited slip rear axle. We have had a running joke with the two V-8 explorers we've owned, that there must be a design flaw in the fuel tank, with a very tiny pinhole leak that doesn't leave any puddles, but slowly drains all the fuel out while you're not looking.

I usually get about 13 to 14 MPG in all city driving, and around 17-19 MPG on trips. I just did the K&N Intake and Gibson exhaust mods which should have improved it some, but its more fun now to lean on the gas, so that offsets the gain.

It runs fine on 87 octane regular. I've run premium a few times. It does improve the mileage a little bit. We're in an area where the 89 octane "mid-grade" with 10% ethanol is cheaper than regular, but I won't use it.

We used to have a '98 Mountaineer with the 5.0 and AWD. It would get about 11 MPG in town. With that one, the joke about the leak in the tank wasn't that funny.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I get 15.5 city/19 highway.

Well, you did say "per tank" so I guess that would be 322 city/395 highway with a 20.8 gallon tank. Of course, it's more like 290/350 since I would be walking if I used it all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My tank varies from winter to summer, due to the fact that in winter I let my car run for about 10 min before I drive it. But when I would drive it normally, I would get around 330 miles total on my tank before I would fill. The most gas Ive put in my tank was about 19 gals, even though it is a 22 gal tank. Does anyone know when the reserve gas light comes on?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I want to say when you have 50 miles left but it might be 25. Not sure, though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I get 300 miles to a tank full city/highway, and 350 mostly highway ...

And Ive put a little over 21 gallons in once ... I love living life on the edge ... NOT, I was just lazy! LOL

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I get 13-14 in town. Can't image what it would be if I had a V8.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I have never checked my new one, I know my old mountaineer got around 13 city and 19 highway on a very long trip, it had that stupid computer in the console that kept telling me how bad my gas milage was :roll: Oh did I say that I drove it like a ass, that may be why it didnt do very good on gas....couldnt keep my foot out of it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts