Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend ways to bump up fuel economy? I love my Explorer but 19 MPG means nearly $200 a month is gas.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
19mpg is actually something to be proud of if you're getting that consistently in an Explorer, believe it or not. There are some modifications that you can do such as an aftermarket air intake kit but you'll maybe see an increase of 1mpg from that. The flipside to that mod is that many people actually start driving more aggressively because they want to hear the intake sound
thus actually lowering average mpg by about 2-3.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Number one trick: Don't put as much pressure on the forward motion leverage pad.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You should be glad your getting 19 MPG! That is about as good as it gets with an Explorer. Most performance mods aren't going to give you any MPG. Remember more power requires more air which equals more fuel.

Keep your tires properly inflated, drive like you have an egg under the pedal, and keep your engine in good tune.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Good lord I get 15-16 mph, An he's worried about 19mph.

Wow 15-16 is pretty good. This last time I filled up I got 11.5 MPG. Yeah that's extremely low but I was having it shift at atleast 3k in first and second. I could go easy on it but it's not as fun to drive.

·
Registered
170 Posts
my truck was getting 12MPG in 2wd before it was parked..and im sure in winter it get's about 11MPG..so be happy you got what you have

there was a guy on EF that was getting 30MPG :roll:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
there was a guy on EF that was getting 30MPG :roll:
Yeah, Aldive, and he does exactly what I was talking about: he drives like a grandma.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i couldent do that..i have to put it to the floor off every light and i just allway's keep my foot in it
i freaking hate people that take more then 7sec to get to 50..that's just stupid :roll:

i know im a stupid kid..but just cause you have all day don't mean i do!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
i couldent do that..i have to put it to the floor off every light and i just allway's keep my foot in it
?i freaking hate people that take more then 7sec to get to 50..that's just stupid :roll: ?

You guys have stop lights up there? I thought it was just sled dogs and igloos.

·
Registered
384 Posts
On the highway I get around 15 to 20 in town since it is a lot of hills and such I get about 8 or 9 but it is always stop and go. in town 200 to a tank on the highway 370 miles cruising at 75, 21 gallon tank.

·
Registered
640 Posts
98X50, many of them(MORE THEN IS NEEDED)..we are a large city almost 400k people we have wal-mart's best buy's..ect :roll:

Just a joke man. I realize we are in the 21st century. Is that pipe line finished yet? You guys keepin' an eye on Russia for us?

All jokes. Seriously.

Many of us on here have a twisted sense of humor. You'll catch on.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
?i freaking hate people that take more then 7sec to get to 50..that's just stupid :roll: ?

That's immaturity speaking (no offense, but it's a fact). It's people that speed around because they're in a hurry that cause accidents and problems on the road.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts

Have fun paying insanely high traffic tickets, fines, court fees, and insurance rates with an attitude like that. Oh and thats even if an insurance company decides they want to cover you.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts