Explorer Talk banner

Mountaineer makes a rapid "CLANKING" on tight turns.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tmountaineer 
#1 ·
--2004 Mercury Mountaineer V-6/4WD 194,000 miles--

My Mountaineer is making a terrible "clanking" sound coming from the front wheels when I make a slow, sharp turn (left or right). The sound is metallic and "clanks" over and over (very rapid..."CLANK CLANK CLANK") until I come out of the turn. It started on max-turns and it may be getting worse. Sometimes it clanks while driving straight. The front wheel bearings and all four front ball joins have recently been replaced in attempt to remedy this. In all, I have spent nearly $2,000 with no luck (I am stationed in Hawaii where repairs are very expensive and hard to afford on a Soldiers paycheck). I have been recommended to buy a sway bar kit. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

#2 ·
Sometimes with undercarriage noise it helps to mic the car up and drive while listening, moving the mic around as needed to try to isolate the noise. If it's more of a clicking I would say outer CV joint, but a clank might have something to do with the brake assembly like a loose caliper or something.

#3 ·
I was in the army on ft carson. You dont have an auto tech shop on post. We had one and hourly rates were super cheap. Like I just posted on another post and from my own experience, still could be a hub bearing. I replaced mine and less than 100 miles later it crapped out on me. To test them yourself, take the tire off and rotate the hub by hand. There should be some resistance but it should rotate smoothly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.