Explorer Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as many of you know, i have a baumann engineering shift kit, installed internally in the trans. It's set to 3B.

3-shift firmness (out of 5)

B-Torque level (A-C) (if you don't have a supercharger or significant mods, you would set it to A).

Well, i was just about to take it apart and change the firmness to 4 (you can only go up with firmness, not down, because you are drilling) Torque compensation can be undone.

So it was my first time in the snow with it. And it shifts a little hard for minimal traction situations. (I'm AWD).

Don't get me wrong it's not that bad, but i'm a nervous snow driver, until the X, i've driven my mustang for 10 years so...

So i'm rethinking the setting 4 thing, although i've never done the right thing before, so we will see, when i get my new tires.

BTW, 100 bucks for the shift kit, is one of the best bang for your buck mods there is. It's highly recommend.

If you are interested in the shift kit here's the site http://www.baumannengineering.com/ My trans is the AODE, but feel free to call these guys, they are very educated and helpful.

Also see Rob's article on this site at http://www.explorertalk.com/modules.php?name=...showpage&pid=16

Feel free to ask me questions, i'll answer them if i can. THIS MOD IS FOR 5.0'S ONLY.

Also keep in mind, i have a supercharger so it's a little easier for me to overpower the tires.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
As soon as I move into the house in March I'll be installing it. I just don't have anywhere to work at the moment since I'm in this damn apartment complex.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Bah, they don't make them for 4.0 SOHC's? Damn. I thought Rocket showed me a link way back when that was for my Explorer Sport. It'd be a damn shame if I can't install a Baumann shift kit in my X. :sad:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As soon as I move into the house in March I'll be installing it. I just don't have anywhere to work at the moment since I'm in this damn apartment complex.

Wilson, take up 2 spots, and do it in the apartment complex, it doesn't require many tools, and your new driveway will thank you.

Rob, if there is one, i have no clue where it is.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts

Wilson, take up 2 spots, and do it in the apartment complex, it doesn't require many tools, and your new driveway will thank you.
Rocket did the same thing, in his apartment complex parking lot. Trust me from what he told me it gets damn messy and you won't want to get all of that crap on your new driveway.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I will third the apartment use! I got to use a friend's garage when doing mine, so he had the lift and places to walk under the X, but you will make a mess by the time you are done...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
[..]

Rocket did the same thing, in his apartment complex parking lot. Trust me from what he told me it gets damn messy and you won't want to get all of that crap on your new driveway.
Yeah, I thought about that but they're real pissy about stuff like that. I took off my sway bar and one of the employees "reminded" me about the policy. I, of course, told him that unless he wants to pay a garage to do it for me, then he should leave me alone. He walked away muttering something about ignorant northerners.

I figured I would put some plastic or something in the driveway when I do it. Then again, f*ck 'em. Maybe I'll just do it right before I move. What're they gonna do, kick me out?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Just do it in the apartment complex

·
Registered
6,767 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wilson, i honestly believe there's only one way to not get fluid all over the place without a lift.

If i did mine again from scratch, i'd drill a small hole in the bung (no jokes please) and then later put the drain plug there. I'd use a un-bit.

That's where i put my drain plug, but i did it with the pan off, because i didn't really know where to put it.

My disclaimer: don't do this because i told you to, do it because you want to, as for my trans is the only one i've ever had open. And that's how i would do it, but i take risks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, I was thinking about putting in a drain plug when I do the shift kit anyway. I did it with my Ranger a couple of years before I got rid of it and, considering how the shops around here charge around $100 for a drain, filter change, and refill, it was well worth it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yeah I said to hell with it and did it in my apartment complex parking lot. A few of the managers came out and bitched at me. But being that they were all VERY HOTT looking women whom I had kind of generated a WORKING relationship with they let it go,.... kind of. I did make a big tranny flid mark on the ground about 4 feet wide though. lol. Lets just say I didnt think my tranny could possibly hold any more fluid. lol. I was wrong. lol. So I threw some small rocks on the spot to kind of cover it till I at least moved out. hehe.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Hello 2000xp8, how does the Baumann kit shift at other than WOT. I have installed many kits in AOD, AODE, 4R70W, one being an Baumann AOD in a Mustang.

The TransGo is definitely better at part throttle shifting, downshifting(normal driving). I have yet to touch my 98 AWD Mountaineer 4R70W, but I will soon.

For everybody, skip the drain plug(it might leak), and always drain the torque converter.

2000xp8, if you overdo the drill size, you can make the hole smaller by hitting it with a steel ball and hammer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Now I am not a wal mart oil change fan but what I do like is the transmission pump they have that cycles out all your old fluid. Obviously this doesn't change the filter but I had that done as well before we left the states in 99 I have since changed it twice myself each time kicking myself in the butt for not putting in a drain plug.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello 2000xp8, how does the Baumann kit shift at other than WOT. I have installed many kits in AOD, AODE, 4R70W, one being an Baumann AOD in a Mustang.

The TransGo is definitely better at part throttle shifting, downshifting(normal driving). I have yet to touch my 98 AWD Mountaineer 4R70W, but I will soon.

For everybody, skip the drain plug(it might leak), and always drain the torque converter.

2000xp8, if you overdo the drill size, you can make the hole smaller by hitting it with a steel ball and hammer.

It shifts pretty soft at less than WOT, barely noticeable. I'd say 1 day, and you'd probably forget it's in there.

I agree with draining the converter.

I totally disagree with skipping the drain plug. If you are worried about it leaking you can take it somewhere and have it welded, instead of using the rubber bushing. But i've yet to meet anyone that did it right and had it leak. Mines been on for a year, and hasn't leaked a drop.

Ted, if the valve you speak of (i forgot the name) is the 15 dollar one that they recommend, yes i got it, supposidly the original was defective, and i've heard that from more than the baumann guys. For 15 bucks, who really cares, i'd just do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts