Explorer Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8O
:

All the new speakers, subs, amps, and TV screens in the world don't do you much good when the brains of the operation heads South.

Yesterday morning, my system worked fine. At noon, A-OK. Last night, I left work, and things took a nasty turn

I turned the system on, and I could hear the same Sirius stream I had on earlier, which makes sense. But I was hearing something else, too. Sounded like static at first, but Sirius can't have static, right? I turned it upa little louder. Turned out it was playing a Satellite channel and an FM channel at the same time. Not good. I punched some preset buttons. They did nothing. I hit the function button - it scrolled through Tuner, DVD, Visual, Tuner - hey, WTF?? no "Sirius" . And it was still palying the same thing.

I put a CD in. Now it would amaze the crowd by playing satellite, FM, AND a CD. ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I shut it off. I turned it back on. I shut it off. I turned it back on. I turned the car off. I powered back up. Same thing.

This morning, I got out my trusty paper clip, and did the "reset" on the head unit and the brain, which is under the seat. Guess what?? That didn't help either. I figured out that if I stay parked in the concrete parking garage at work, where the satellite rays can't get to me, and set it to "Visual", I can listen to FM, but not with presets. That seems a little limiting for $4,500 worth of gear.

So today at noon, I took it in to the shop. Now I have an appointment for 4:30 tomorrow, and they're going to tear it all out and "send it in for service".

OOOOHHHHHHHHH, NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Damn that really sucks man....Kind of makes me glad I dont have a 1000+ headunit in my X because they must be quite expensive to replace (or even service).

I hope you have a warranty still for it, it sounds like its relatively brand new so my guess is yes.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, its under warranty, but who knows how long I get to drive around humming to myself, with a great big, gaping hole in my dash? And I don't hum very well. And I can't just throw another head unit in there while I wait, because everything is wired to underneath the passenger seat where the brain unit is. I mean was.

That and I just barely missed out on winning this cool new license plate frame today. Honestly, I just don't know how I can even go on.

But, yeah, it pretty much sucks

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Oh dude that really sucks major a$$. Good luck with getting it repaired!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'd kill myself. Life just isn't worth living.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd kill myself. Life just isn't worth living.

And I know that from your recent experience ( I mean getting your radio ripped off, you were WAY off on the license plate contest), that you can feel my pain. How did you get through it? Church? Support groups? Drugs and alcohol?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
That sucks, I know that I couldnt drive without tunes.

Good luck getting it fixed, hopefully it wont take too long.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I turned to the Lord. He is my shepherd when my audio equipment is lost and I can't guess the correct numbers.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. So either my Explorer is haunted, or possessed, or maybe Wilson said some prayers and lit a candle.... "By the Power of Christ I Compel You...... or something.

Last night, I scheduled the unceremonial removal of my head unit.

This morning, I fire up the X, and the display is flashing "press pwr......press pwr.....press pwr........" which is what it would do if I "reset" the unit with the high-tech paper clip. Only I hadn't reset it. And all of a sudden, 95% of everything is working. The only thing that's a little odd is that now I only get ONE Sirius channel. And its Channel 16, "The Vault", not even just the preview channel. Everything else is an "Invalid Channel". Hmmmph. CD works. Tuner works. They don't all play at the same time. All the buttons work.

SO, a little while ago, I leave for lunch - now EVERYTHING works. 60 streams of commercial free Sirius tunes all ponied up for my listening enjoyment.

SO, I have come to suspect the Sirius tuner as the cause of these difficulties. And I am pretty concerned about the car wash that I went through about four hours before all this started. I'm thinking something got wet, which I'm not too excited about. But, as of right now, I have my tunes back. Which I'm fairly ecstatic about.

Then it made me think about that Mercury Villager we had a while back, which would honk the horn every so often while it was sitting all alone in the garage, just to let us know that it was still there.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Then it made me think about that Mercury Villager we had a while back, which would honk the horn every so often while it was sitting all alone in the garage, just to let us know that it was still there.

Well I'm glad everything is working now for you Jeff. Sounds like the car wash was the culprit.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know, maybe its just me, but it seems like it sounds even better than before

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
puts hand upon head units forehead

"DEVIL BEGONE!!!"

"HALLELLUJAH! PRAISE BE TO GOD!!!"

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When the head unit starts projectile vomiting pea soup into the back seat, I'll be REAL worried. Until then, I can just hang on and hope for the best.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
You know, maybe its just me, but it seems like it sounds even better than before

Well duh. It was broken before.

Glad it all worked out. I guess you have to be careful with that satellite stuff when you do carwashes.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wise guy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts