Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can answer this in a timely manner. I just through on one of my EVO5 rims that were on my Escape. Is there anything I need to watch for, they seem to fit great no rubbing, snugged right down, plenty of clearance from caliper. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Rubbing would be your biggest concern, I can't really tell you much about the rest though. What are the wheel dimensions? For example mine are 275/55/17 and becuase of the width I do have some rubbing when the wheel is turned completely so I'll either need to adjust the steering limiter or get spacers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well stock it is 245/65/17 the ones I am putting on for the time being( cause I hate to see 2000 dollars just sit there) are 255/55/18. I just drove down the street with the lefts on and heard nothing and felt normal so I am assuming everything is ok

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
So the ones you just put on are 255/55/18? Yeah thats actually perfect. The stock Explorer tire width is 255. You won't have any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I recall that expo5.0 over on Explorer Forum gave his old Centerlines to his brother for his Escape. That was a 2nd gen Explorer to Escape swap, but aparently it worked perfect.

I can't imagine you would have any trouble with a 255/55 as long as the rim has enough offset to clear everything.

Trial and error is the best method since you have the wheels at your disposal. Bolt em on and look it all over. Turn the wheel lock to lock and look for clearance issues. You may also want to get the suspension "flexed" a little and look for clearance issues within the travel range of the suspension.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well everything appears to be ok but in my great thinking I neglected taking off assembly clips for rotors
and caught it on my last rim so I had to take the other three back off

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm running 275/55/18 on my '02 with no problems at all. I'm afraid to try lowering it, though. Don't want to press my luck. Tire Rack didn't want to sell them to me, but they're pretty conservative. Tires.com said 285/55/18 would work, but I don't know if I'd go that far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here it is not sure if I like it, thinking a 4x4 look would be better.

Not sure why pic is so small.

EDIT: Fixed - Rob

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The pic is small because you copied the link for the thumbnail of the pic. Make the pic full size then get the URL from it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
WOW 03 Limited - they look amazing on your Explorer! Definitely a smart move to hold onto them and then put them on your Explorer. Looks great!
8)

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow that looks nice!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Those look good and they are only 18's they look bigger for some reason. Makes me feel better cuz iwant to get 18's and i wasnt sure if they were gonna be big enough for me, but they look like they will.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Those are some great looking wheels!

In my opinion, the overall wheel/tire package looks a little small for the truck. There's a lot of wide open space in the wheelwells. If it were me, I'd either lower the truck to go for more of a "street" look, or go to a little bigger tire.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
For the amount of money he would spend to buy new bigger tires to wrap those wheels in, he might as well just invest in the new shocks John Vanek sells through Explorer Express to lower his ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am kinda sided with jgt02expltd, but I think I will wait to see what the lift kit looks like when EE post picks don't think I am going to lower it. Anyone have any recommendations on a bigger tire?

O and thanks for fixxing my pic( I work graveyard and didn't have much sleep the moron in me was taking over :stupid: )

·
Registered
640 Posts
A little bit of drop and it will look perfect!
Stay street, don't go to the dark side.

·
Registered
640 Posts

See how that makes it all better!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wow, that does make a huge difference!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts