Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hood scoop came yesterday afternoon

Surprised the heck out of me, I wasn't expecting it to get here for at least another week.

It is gorgeous, and its going to look perfect on my hood. They did a great job on the white pearl paint, it matches like it was one at the factory.

There is a little bit of "imprint" in the clear coat from the soft cotton "T shirt" cloth it was packed in, but I'm sure it will polish out. I'm really psyched about getting this thing installed, but its so doggone cold, and the forecast is for snow of the next 7 days, so it may have to wait a while. I've been kicking around the idea of actually using the screws. Has anybody tried it yet, or has everybody just used the tape? If I decide to go the tape route, I'm definitely going to wait for warmer weather.

Susie - Don't let him have it!!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Jeff I had no idea you were getting a scoop! That is awesome, you're totally going to love it even more once its installed. So far I do not know anyone who has used the screws or whatever to bolt it down. I may eventually do that, but for now it's secured down just by the tape. Although it hasn't gone ANYWHERE, I don't trust it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a pic of the "test fit" on my filthy truck

If my poor truck is ever clean again, and warm, I'll put it on for real

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Looks fantastic man. Can't wait till its installed "for real"

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I'm like a 2 year old when I get a new toy.

I had to run around and do a bunch of stuff today, and when I got home, the hood was all nice and toasty warm, and it was about 45 degrees in the garage, so I went ahead and put it on. What do you think?

And while I was out there carefully cleaning small portions of the truck, I installed the V-8 emblems I got for the front fenders. I've always liked the looks of the "retro" emblem, ans since I took the one off the back, I'd been wanting to do these on the fenders, similar to what was done on some earlier model X's

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Very nice!!!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey, that hood scoop looks amazing on your Explorer! About the V8 emblems though - they look IMO way too high up. But nonetheless a very nice touch.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I didn't even notice the V8 emblems. But now that I see them I agree with Rob, too high. I think they should be moved down to at least no higher than the wheel lip molding.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
You were like me when my scoup arrived, just had to get it on there
I was in the cold garage with the little space heater and had the X running trying to get it warmed up
so far it is still sticking, that 2 sided tape that they send with it is the good stuff

I'm glad that the color matched, that is a hard color...oh by the way it looks GREAT

As far as the emblem it looks like he installed it where they install the v6 emblem on the Escapes, it's kind of hard to tell if it looks ok up that high, I think if you saw the hole side view it might not look too bad, I think that since the shot is so close it is hard to tell

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Scoop looks great! I may end up getting one of those ... But Im unsure if it will ruin my "Clean" look ... Hmmmm ?
:
Absolutely not. In fact it will only make your Explorer look more badass. Check out my truck with the scoop on....it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
SteedaExplorer wrote:

Scoop looks great! I may end up getting one of those ... But Im unsure if it will ruin my "Clean" look ... Hmmmm ?

TFN Rob

Absolutely not. In fact it will only make your Explorer look more badass. Check out my truck with the scoop on....it makes a huge difference.

99-01 Explorer X ?

Like Rob said

I will tell you that the fit is great, it's not like you bought a Mustang scoup and slapped it on there, the contour and shape fit the hood perfectly, you can tell it was designed to fit the Explorer, I am not much on hood scoups on vehicles that dont come with them, they usually look tacky but once I saw a couple of pics with them on there I just had to get one

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm really happy with the scoop. It just turned out WAY nicer than I imagined it would be.

On the V-8 emblems, I tried it in about every possible location. Down low, it get too close to the break in the sheet metal for the fender flare. Halfway up looks like you couldn't decide WHERE to put it. Up high seemed like the best option. Also, the emblems have a curve to the back of them, and they fit the contour of the fender better in the high location. Maybe thats why Escapes have them up so high.

I'm not really sure how well I like it, but they do look better in person. The photo was taken from close up, and high up, so it does look a little deceiving

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys. ?I'm really happy with the scoop. It just turned out WAY nicer than I imagined it would be.

I'm not really sure how well I like it, but they do look better in person. The photo was taken from close up, and high up, so it does look a little deceiving

Thats what I was thinking, sometimes pics can be deceiving, if it ever quits snowing you need to get a side shot of the whole vehcile, I bet they dont look bad once you see the side view

I should have got a V8, those emblems look so cool

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'm sure it does look great from a distance or from a true side profile shot, but I dont know man personally I LOVE the 2nd generation 98-01 Explorer V8 emblems (95-97's were different), and the placement is killer...

Can you say DROOL?!

I dont know, I'm just really not a fan of the "retro" V8 emblem, although I know and understand the significance of it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
What else does your husband steal from you? Does he let you have anything?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts