Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I smoked the taillights and clearcoated them, they ended upc oming out great. I think these are going to AWESOME once they are on my truck. There is a reason I haven't put them on yet and that's because of the rain that is about to start tonight. Anyway check out these pictures:

BEFORE:

AFTER FOUR COATS OF SMOKE:

AFTER SIX COATS OF SMOKE:

Once the taillights actually dried and cured more, now they don't have that "fog" look over them so they are not nearly as dark as in that picture. They look really close to the second picture now, maybe just a tad darker. I covered the taillights in three coats of clear coat but I have to apply one more coat and then they will be done. I will also probably sand them and polish them to give a reflective shine.

Anyway, these came out amazing and will look much better then they did before. So what do you guys think? Remember the second picture is very close to what they are now. The third picture is before it had a chance to really sit, dry, and cure.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I actually got worried when they came out like they did in the third pic. It was too much. But they look just like in the second picture now. And once I polish them up and all they will have an awesome gloss and shine.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I guess it's too late for this statement, but i liked how they looked after only a few coats better than the 6.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess it's too late for this statement, but i liked how they looked after only a few coats better than the 6.

Like I said, I don't know why they looked so dark after six coats and with the clearcoat just put on, but once the tint dried and cured it doesn't look *anything* like it did there.

My taillights now are actually just a *tad* darker then what they look like in the second picture. I need to put one more coat of clearcoat on them and once that dries and all then I will take pictures. Unfortunately today its raining so it's going to have to wait.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can i ask why you didnt leave the reverse park white? i think i kind of like the contrast on mine.

It'd be very very hard to mask off the reverse and somehow make it look right, I ran into problems with a extra set of stock taillights when I tried to mask the reverse off on those.

That probably made no sense but I can show you a closeup on a picture of the stock tails I more or less messed up. If you hold the taillights a foot or more away from you, you can't see it. But if you hold them up close you can see where I messed up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Tight

Not really one for the different tail lights but those with the smoke on them will look good, just dark enough where you can see what they are under it but enough to not drastically off set the appearance of them on thier own. A good package overall I think. Let's see them on the truck.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK Everyone here they are, the final finished product! This is after the six coats of smoke and five coats of clearcoat:

(Same shot but with flash on)

Vs. Red Tinted Stock Taillights

On the car right after a wash

They came out really really good! I do not have a clue at all as to why they showed up so dark and "fogged" yesterday. I will have to get better pictures of them installed on the car soon.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a good closeup shot of them smoked on my car (note: flash on camera is on):

High res versions for all these pictures are in my photo gallery.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks muncheese! Man that tint made such a difference!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob those are so much better!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts