Explorer Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girlfriend told me today that she wanted to buy me the required materials so i can paint some plastic peices in the explorer. I have been saying that I would do this for probably 2 years and just have never done it. What kind of materials am i looking at getting, obviously some plastic primer, paint, and clear coat... anything else that im missing?

and just incase anyone else is wondering, she also got me an Adrian Peterson 296 rushing yard record breaking T-shirt, Some Cologne, a mustang t-shirt and is bringing me up to her family cabin this weekend for some fishing on the lake.

On top of that, i got a 30$ gift card to TGI Fridays from my sis, a new fishing real and some tackle from my mom and the new ps3 Aerosmith guitar hero from my dad.

all in all a good 22nd b-day!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Taking you to her cabin for some fishing...........Now that is a good Minnesotan girlfriend.

Maybe get some scuff pads to get the paint to stick best, some prep solvent to make sure the surface is nice and clean, free of wax, etc. What parts are you going to paint?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably just the radio bezel, the black plastic part above the stearing wheel and plastic peice where the spedometer is (haha guess i can't really explain this part any better) and the message center and the cupholder peice that goes up to the arm rest.

ya the g/f is pretty amazing, we have been together for 2.5 years and this will be my second time going to their cabin. Her family will be their but they treat me as if i were one of their family members!

thanks for the help and recommendations, i think i will have her tag along to an auto parts store to pick these things up next week sometime.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
The radio bezel and console parts have a rubberized coating on them. This can be sanded off or lacquer thinner can soften the rubber and it can be scraped off, but it doesn't work perfect.

Maybe someone else will have some better advice on removing the coating, but I believe I used a combination of the lacquer thinner and sanding methods. It took some time.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Congrats on the birthday and the girlfriend. I haven't dealt with that trim coating which seems to be like rubber. I would suggest a harsh cleaner like Eric mentioned, but just for a brief time to get the coating to let go. If it bubbles up I'd say that it has worked. Avoid letting a harsh cleaner like LT or carburetor cleaner contact the plastic for long, it may melt it or soften it. Regards,

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I used lacquer thinner and like Don said it will eat the plastic. It took all of the coating off fine it just wrinkles up and you rub it off, but it also ate through the mounting tabs that hold the bezel in place so really all that hold mine in is the two screws above the climate knobs. If you don't wait too long and then rinse the thinner off I think you should be fine. Sounds like you have a great girlfriend too does she have any sisters lol? I have some friends that live up in MN if I can save up money to visit I'll hit you guys up. I know they used to live in St. Cloud, but not sure what city they're in now except the suburbs of Minneapolis...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was written 12-years ago. Has anyone come up with a better solvent or technique to remove the rubberized finish on the 2nd generation Explorer radio bezel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts