Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, here's how this mess started.

Pull in driveway, notice dripping oil.

Pull dipstick, and the whole god damn thing comes out, shaft and dipstick.

Takes 30 minutes to find the friggin hole, and it's too loose. So i had to deform the tip a little to make it tight. Deformed it too much and couldn't put it in by hand. I put a set of vice grips on it (gently) and use hammer on vice grips. Not going anywhere now.

Next up find oil leak.

It's coming from the filter.

Remove filter, put new one on. (i always buy them 2 at a time).

Powerwash all the oil off.

Start truck.

Pressure builds and then hisssssssssssssssssss. Yup, oil blowing all over the place.

Can't find the leak. Remove filter (again).

Here's where the lesson is.

The rubber gasket from the first filter never came off, thus when i put the new one on, there was rubber gaskets stacked on each other.

What a mess.

Lesson: check for old gasket.

·
Registered
925 Posts
ouch, that sucks. at least you found the problem. did you get the shaft fixed?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ouch, that sucks. at least you found the problem. did you get the shaft fixed?
Ya, the shaft just needed to be pinched a hair. That's when i pinched it too much, and it didn't want to fit back in the hole.

So i put the vice grips on it, and hammered on the vice grips gently, and forced it back in the hole. It's not going to move now.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That happened when my friend changed the oil on his 98 5.0 X. We both changed our oil in his garage. He was ragging on me and telling me not to spill oil on his garage floor. He truely ate his words on that one. I only spilled a drop. It was spraying and dripping everywhere because he didn't get the gasket off. His dad came home and got all pissed because he backed it out of the garage when it was leaking because he didn't know and it got all over the concrete driveway.

·
Registered
925 Posts
ooh man, concrete driveway. that SUCKS!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Dang, I'm definitely going to check that from now on. That would freak me out if my engine started doing that

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
ooh man, concrete driveway. that SUCKS!

Yeah, they have proabably a 200 ft long gravel driveway, and a 2 car garage. One concrete pad in front of each door. We used dirt to soak up most of the oil. It was the best thig we could find. It cleaned up quite well

This spill was nothing compared to the one we had IN his garage. He was working on his dads ford tractor. We had drained all the hydraulic fluid (about 5 gallons) and it was sitting in an open bucket. One of his other friends came over and they started screwing around (immature), well it got kicked over. I was just standing and watching the whole thing. It was a horrible sight, but extremely funny because it wasn't my garage floor. They both quickly became serious, and the perimeter of the spill was contained with a lot of old rags. We needed something good to soak it up, so we started cutting scrap wood with a table saw and poured the sawdust on the spill, haha I found the whole situation quite comical. lol

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Yeah, they have proabably a 200 ft long gravel driveway, and a 2 car garage. One concrete pad in front of each door. We used dirt to soak up most of the oil. It was the best thig we could find. It cleaned up quite well

This spill was nothing compared to the one we had IN his garage. He was working on his dads ford tractor. We had drained all the hydraulic fluid (about 5 gallons) and it was sitting in an open bucket. One of his other friends came over and they started screwing around (immature), well it got kicked over. I was just standing and watching the whole thing. It was a horrible sight, but extremely funny because it wasn't my garage floor. They both quickly became serious, and the perimeter of the spill was contained with a lot of old rags. We needed something good to soak it up, so we started cutting scrap wood with a table saw and poured the sawdust on the spill, haha I found the whole situation quite comical. lol

Kitty litter is your friend.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i did that last year, after i change it, i check it again once its sat levle for a min, then start it and look underneath, luckly i did, cause soon as i started it it started to puke all over, shut it off right away, then had my dad come out and help me, for the filter off, went and got a new one and thats when i learned to ALLWAYS check for the old o-ring on the old filter lol, jesus what a mess that made on the garage floor, so glad we had the little diper pads, sucked it all up then i had to pressure wash/scrub/pressure wash the floor cause my dad was like your so cleaning that up..anyway lol yes i've allways check that from that point on.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yeah, kitty litter works extremely well for stuff like that. My grandpa uses it even though he has never had a cat. I don't have any cats, nor do I have any friends that do, so there was no kittly litter around. It would have contained that spill instantly though. I think they also market a similar substance as a garage spill absorber. I forgot what it was called though.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Sorry, but this thread brings back memories. It is always more entertaining though when it is someone else.

Kitty litter, ( regular cheap stuff) and a brick.

Use the brick to scrub the kitty litter into the stain.

Even an old stain can be improved with this method.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I think several of us have done that. I did it to a vehicle when I was working a an oil changing place when I was in college. When we did the start up, it sprayed all over me. Needless to say, I knew what it was, I had been warned before to always check them. Just got in to big of a hurry.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
If you don't have litter, clean up the oil the best you can then run to the store and get some. No replacement for kitty litter. Luckily at home I have a kitty so kitty litter is always around.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, i've been driving since 92. 3 vehicles. Always changed my own oil. I've not payed a single time.

Probably 200 oil changes. Never had this issue.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well, i've been driving since 92. 3 vehicles. Always changed my own oil. I've not payed a single time.

Probably 200 oil changes. Never had this issue.
maybe you just got a "defective" filter that wanted to cause problems lol

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
When I was taught to change oil, that is the first thing you check when you take the filter off. As well as put some oil on the seal so there is a lesser chance of it sticking where it shouldn't.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I learned that leason from my dads mistake on his X! Needless to say I was bitting my lip not to laugh at the time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
yea that happened to me once, it sucks backing out of a garage and watching your oil pressure gauge drop to 0, you're just like wtf lol. and charcoal lighter fluid is the master for cleaning oil stains off a concrete floor, btw. soak the floor with it, scrub it in, and rinse with a hose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts