Explorer Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Tough lesson among many. Engine degreaser is really good to have handy, plus paper towels.

Good tip there Jon about the brick.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
and charcoal lighter fluid is the master for cleaning oil stains off a concrete floor, btw. soak the floor with it, scrub it in, and rinse with a hose.

Never heard that before. Definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definetely check for the gasket. I had this happen not a week ago. Person who changed the oil last didn't put any on the gasket so it stuck on the car. Needless to say the smallest things can piss you off.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yeah, kitty litter works extremely well for stuff like that. My grandpa uses it even though he has never had a cat. I don't have any cats, nor do I have any friends that do, so there was no kittly litter around. It would have contained that spill instantly though. I think they also market a similar substance as a garage spill absorber. I forgot what it was called though.
Speedy Dry, i steel it from work all of the time. I must have 5 gallons in tha back of my truck and about 10 @ home

·
Registered
114 Posts
Never had that happen to me. After I remove the filter, I always clean the machined surface on the engine block. That way its clean for the new filter and the seal will never be left stuck to it.

I have to say, my Explorer is the easiest oil change I've ever done. Don't have to use a jack or ramps. And the oil filter is vertical with nothing blocking it, so you can remove it without spilling a drop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I learned my lesson on that when I was 15 I changed my fathers oil in his Pontiac Catalina with the 400 engine. I started it up and all looked good for 10 seconds then it started spraying oil everywhere. I took the filter off and realized what happened and replaced it all was good but spent the rest of the day cleaning the concrete driveway while all my friends went to the beach for fun in the sun. Some lessons learned stick with you forever, I am now 54 and can still see that oil spraying like it was yesterday!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts