Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just bought a pre owned 09 4.0 Eddie Bauer with 86k on the clock.
This is my first ford and I have some random questions that need to be answered or confirmed.
If anyone knowledgeable about these cars and can help, please do!
I am knowledgeable with cars and troubleshooting, so it wont be too much of a headache I promise!

1) I didn't find a trans dipstick. Can you all confirm for me there is no easy way to check trans fluid?

2) The rear most body mounts (where the cab bolts to frame) look weird. There is no nut on it. i think its fine cause the washer looks threaded. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
Picture of body mounts

3) The driver seat tilt does not work. The motors and all are good, but the little gearbox that xfers the rotational movement to linear movement have broken teeth. I don't think i need to say this, but the replacement is an expensive ass assembly. Is there anyplace to get just the internals of that gearbox?

4) There is a sound that i originally thought was a pully making noise, but it has changed and gotten louder in the week i have had the car. It doesnt sound so much like a pulley naming noise and more like a pump getting loud now. it seems to be coming from the bottom of the car as well possibly the trans. Any common issues with the trans that sounds like a pump/pully getting loud?

5) There is a clunk from the driveline when feathering on and off the throttle while driving. This clunk feels a lot like a sloppy driveshaft u-joint. It happens at all sorts of speeds, but seems to happen more often/consistent at fwy speeds. lets say im on the fwy driving 70 mph then i come off the throttle for a second. when i press the pedal again it does the clunk one time and all is well again. I have not felt it clunk as i get off the throttle.
-I have checked U-joint at the input shaft and at the diff and they're tight, the driveshaft had a teeny tiny bit of slop when pulling on the u-joint where it went into the trans, but it didn't strike me as anything that can be causing this. It wasn't rotational slop.

6) a visual showed a lot of seepage off the gas tank filler when looked at from behind the panel. I was maybe expecting to have fill issues, but all seems well and no evap issues. Is this just a characteristic of the capless filler in these?

7) I probably will have a ton more if anyone doesn't mind being my expert!
-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello all,

Just bought a pre owned 09 4.0 Eddie Bauer with 86k on the clock.
This is my first ford and I have some random questions that need to be answered or confirmed.
If anyone knowledgeable about these cars and can help, please do!
I am knowledgeable with cars and troubleshooting, so it wont be too much of a headache I promise!

1) I didn't find a trans dipstick. Can you all confirm for me there is no easy way to check trans fluid?
No Trans dip stick on the 08, 09, 10 and so forth. Only dealer.

2) The rear most body mounts (where the cab bolts to frame) look weird. There is no nut on it. i think its fine cause the washer looks threaded. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
Picture of body mounts

3) The driver seat tilt does not work. The motors and all are good, but the little gearbox that xfers the rotational movement to linear movement have broken teeth. I don't think i need to say this, but the replacement is an expensive ass assembly. Is there anyplace to get just the internals of that gearbox?
Look for one at a salvage yard?!

4) There is a sound that i originally thought was a pully making noise, but it has changed and gotten louder in the week i have had the car. It doesnt sound so much like a pulley naming noise and more like a pump getting loud now. it seems to be coming from the bottom of the car as well possibly the trans. Any common issues with the trans that sounds like a pump/pully getting loud?

5) There is a clunk from the driveline when feathering on and off the throttle while driving. This clunk feels a lot like a sloppy driveshaft u-joint. It happens at all sorts of speeds, but seems to happen more often/consistent at fwy speeds. lets say im on the fwy driving 70 mph then i come off the throttle for a second. when i press the pedal again it does the clunk one time and all is well again. I have not felt it clunk as i get off the throttle.
-I have checked U-joint at the input shaft and at the diff and they're tight, the driveshaft had a teeny tiny bit of slop when pulling on the u-joint where it went into the trans, but it didn't strike me as anything that can be causing this. It wasn't rotational slop.

6) a visual showed a lot of seepage off the gas tank filler when looked at from behind the panel. I was maybe expecting to have fill issues, but all seems well and no evap issues. Is this just a characteristic of the capless filler in these?
Never saw any fuel seepage on my 2010.

7) I probably will have a ton more if anyone doesn't mind being my expert!
You just might try Googling some of your questions. Lots of info there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts