Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2002 Limited with V8, does anyone make an aftermarket performance chip ?

thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
First, WELCOME to ExplorerX! Glad you're here. Secondly, I do believe that there is no performance chip out YET for 3rd generation Explorers, but there should be one coming out very soon by Apten Performance. You can visit their website at http://www.apten-us.com

Apten makes the best chips on the market for Fords!!

G

·
like rob said, welcome to the site, lots of great info here and yes apten is working on a chip for the 3rd gens...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Welcome!! I have a 02 4.6 and Apten already has a "chip". It's really isn't a chip, Our computers don't have a slot for a chip. It can only be modified through a programmer or "flasher". APTEN can do this now, but you have to send them your ECU. Brian is the guy to talk to there.

They are also developing a flasher that will be sold... that's not out yet.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Welcome to ExplorerX!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I know you were joking, but even regardless of speed...firming up the tranny shifts...I'll take that ANY DAY!

G

·
That is pretty much the only thing I dislike about our '02. Its got a quirky tranny. And to get it to shift right, you have to rev it over 4k

G

·
Why would you need a chip? Isn't the 4.6 fast enough as it is? ?
?

everyone wants more power so they can slam there selves into the seat, hell its great..lol....and i know for sure todd u like the throw back already in ur rents x...
....a little more won't hurt
...much

·
Registered
794 Posts
That is pretty much the only thing I dislike about our '02. Its got a quirky tranny. And to get it to shift right, you have to rev it over 4k

Hey maybe that is why I dont know if my tranny is quirky!!! I just always rev the sh!t out of it all the time!!! lol. I barely ever drive it like normal people do. Unless other people are with me that dont like me driving like a madman. I will probably not be able to get anyone to ride with me once I get the forged stroker engine with the KB charger on there pullied to 14 psi. I guess too many people will be afraid to ride in a 550+ rwhp suv. lol. That would be pretty piss poor if they would rather ride in the blown stang that I will be doing soon because they feel safer in that. lol.

G

·
rocket5979- i would feel safer in the brick then in the sheet metal mustang, but i love mustangs though....it would be a toss up. So ur gona pull a troll, cool man, hope it works out and u don't go broke from it...lol...good luck

G

·
[..]

Hey maybe that is why I dont know if my tranny is quirky!!! ?I just always rev the sh!t out of it all the time!!! ?lol. ?I barely ever drive it like normal people do. ?Unless other people are with me that dont like me driving like a madman. ?I will probably not be able to get anyone to ride with me once I get the forged stroker engine with the KB charger on there pullied to 14 psi. ?I guess too many people will be afraid to ride in a 550+ rwhp suv. ?lol. ?That would be pretty piss poor if they would rather ride in the blown stang that I will be doing soon because they feel safer in that. ?lol.

Daymn!! I'd be the first to ride with you!! As far as the tranny, I always rev it too. Although its hard on the tires.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
How is it hard on the tires? Unless you are doing hard launches from stop lights then I could see how it's hard on the tires. I rarely ever let my tranny shift below 3k.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
High revving is hard on the transmission, not tires.

G

·
High revving is hard on the transmission, not tires.

no u guyz totally missed the point of that, he ment spinning out all the time...wow come on guyz thinkin to much into this stuff...lol

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Oh lol
Thanks for pointing that out Adam!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
rocket5979- i would feel safer in the brick then in the sheet metal mustang, but i love mustangs though....it would be a toss up. ?So ur gona pull a troll, cool man, hope it works out and u don't go broke from it...lol...good luck

You are right. My old explorer protected me quite well when I flipped it 3 times on the highway. lol. I love my new truck but also miss my old one. I was soooo close to finishing a big part of my project with that thing! But now I have had to start off fresh again. I didnt lose too much money ($3,000) So that wasnt too bad. Being that I had $14,000 into it and got most of it back out of it I consider myself pretty luck y on a few accounts.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
WOW :wow: man you only actually lost 3k? Wow you are DEFINITELY lucky. Especially considering how much you invested. I'd say you did yourself a favor pal! Well, that is if you are truly convinced that your new Explorer is/will be better then your old one. And again I read about that crash that you wrote a while ago, I can't believe you made it out of there relatively unscathed!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: New member ! Is there a performance chip for 3rd Gen. X

Yeah only about 3k in mods. I also lost my Glock 27 .40s&w too which sucks. And thank god I have great insurance being that I am in the military because that all totalled out to be close to $17,000 last I knew. Yeah I am really happy that I came out as good as I did. Very surprising that something more than my broken collar bone and cuts on my hands didnt happen. I guess it just wasnt my time. Might be the same way for the fella in that other thread to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts