Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my FR500's mounted on my Mountaineer! They are 18x9's and I'm running 255-55-18 Pirelli Scorpion Zero's.

I went with the black for a different look, but I am not sure what I think of the look. Let me hear what you all think about the look.

Later...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Man, and those are 18's?! Wow. They look so small from far away, but I guess it's just the fact that 3rd gens in general are bigger plus I guess because your Mountaineer isn't lowered. That aside, I think they look really good up close. It's definitely unique. Good job!

How do you like the Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes? I'm sure you must love the grip and handling those tires give you. Stock tires are a joke!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Scorpion's are GREAT! I have been really happy with them. Wet and Dry traction is excellent and the biggest difference is in sidewall rigidity and lack of roll over.

I have been seriously looking into lowering the Mountaineer since I put these wheels on. The wheel wells are huge on the 3rd gens so they just swallow up the 18's. Also with them being black it makes them look smaller.

Those of you who have lowered your 3rd gens, what did you use and how happy are you with the outcome? what is the ride like compared to stock?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
The Scorpion's are GREAT! I have been really happy with them. Wet and Dry traction is excellent and the biggest difference is in sidewall rigidity and lack of roll over. ?

I have been seriously looking into lowering the Mountaineer since I put these ?wheels on. The wheel wells are huge on the 3rd gens so they just swallow up the 18's. Also with them being black it makes them look smaller. ?

Those of you who have lowered your 3rd gens, what did you use and how happy are you with the outcome? what is the ride like compared to stock?
Well so far I only know of Brad (dwtc) who has lowered his Explorer with a non-airbag setup. He used Ground Force springs which are a direct bolt on and replace your factory springs. I really do not think he has had any negative feedback on lowering his Explorer. But you'll have to ask him yourself.

I didn't think you were willing to lower your Mountaineer, but I think that is a fantastic idea. It will definitely help the look of the new wheels you have 100%.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I usually don't go much for black wheels, but I agree with Rob, close up they look pretty cool. Does cry out to be lowered, though. I thought Brad was really happy with his Ground Force springs. Explorer Express is getting more delays from KW Suspension on the introduction of their coil-over kit, so that isn't an option yet

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob,

I'm not sure I will lower it, but I think it would make it look better for sure. I am in the process of negotiating on a new toy for my wife and I and if it goes through, I will not be doing much of anything to the Mountie or Jeep for a while.

Here is a hint:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ok, so obviously thats a sports car....but what? The instrument cluster font looks like its from a Porsche...but I'm probably wrong.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ah the Boxster S! Incredibly nice. You are absolutely insane for giving it to your wife though! Seriously.
I say give her the Mountaineer, and you stick to the Boxster S.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's for both of us
And she is willing to learn how to drive a stick in order to drive it. I have been trying to get her to learn for about a dozen years now...Now I need to find some sucker willing to donate their stick as a teaching vehicle because there is no way she will learn in the Boxster if we get it

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think it looks pretty good Chad.
It makes for a unique look that you will not see on another one too quickly. I do agree with the others, it's screaming for a lowering now that the wheels are on there! I'm pretty sure the Ground Force springs are the only option. Check with Brad or Sarek as they both have them.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow I love the Boxster S!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I got to wash the Mountie today for the 1st time since I have had the wheels on and I put some tire dressing on the tires...I'm really starting to like the look of the black rims. They have even been awarded the seal of approval by my wife who also agrees that it would look even better lowered a bit. So it looks like the rims will stay and I need to start price shopping for some lowering springs.

As for the pending Boxster...It's a 2001 S in white with a metropol blue top and interior. 6spd, litronics, heated seats, 18's with the sport chasis and exhaust. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It belongs to a friend of my brother in laws who is being transfered to China for 18 months. If we can work out an amicable deal, it could be resting peacefully in my garage by next weekend (all fingers and toes crossed) If not, oh well...the money will go to furniture and an entertainment system for the new house....

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I like it! But I wish the outter edge was black too. I think it would make it look even better
nah man, the polished lip looks incredible...well in my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I just realized I missed those pics. I only saw the Porsche.

Anyway, those look great!!! I'm with Rob and Tommy, the polished lip looks amazing!! Beautiful wheels.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts