Explorer Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- I'm new to the audio jig, I don't know what's what and if i'm getting ripped off in an audio store or what. With that said, I have about 2000 to spend, and wanna put in some subs that sound good. What are some options I have? Right now my truck is stock so the system will be starting from scratch. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Anything Rockford, JL, Boston Acostick, Eclipse. I recoomen Rockford amps. I know some people will disagree with me. You know, you should talk to TFN Rob. Hes got a very nice system for sale!

·
Registered
666 Posts
JL Audio is the way to go!

Get some 10's or 12's W3's or better, then some XR Components for mids and highs and lastly get some JL amps ... (E-bay is the way to go)

300x4 JL amp for the mids and highs and a 500x1 for the subs

And an Eclipse head unit. (I reccomend the CD5441)

You cant go wrong with this setup ... unless you dont wanna go deff

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Are you talking $2000 for the whole system?

If that's the case:

Head unit - Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, in that order of quality. I have a Pioneer but I'm going to get an Eclipse at some point.

Amp - Kicker, MTX, Rockford

Subs - Image Dynamics, Directed Audio, Adire, JL; there are so many but I'm thinking about either the Adire Shiva or one from Directed and have to decide soon.

Speakers - Go with components; MB Quart, Infinity; I prefer Infinity.

Remember, it all starts with the head unit but to me, the speakers have always been the most important part since that what's your actually hear. And make sure you use good, brand name wiring.

·
Registered
566 Posts
JL Audio is the way to go! ?
?

Get some 10's or 12's W3's or better, then some XR Components for mids and highs and lastly get some JL amps ... (E-bay is the way to go)

300x4 JL amp for the mids and highs and a 500x1 for the subs

And an Eclipse head unit. (I reccomend the CD5441) ?

You cant go wrong with this setup ... unless you dont wanna go deff ?

If you want top notch get an eclipse HU, IMO best out there, I had one for about 4 years.

I agree with JL subs, also the best out there IMO

But to keep it under $2000 is going to be tough, with that quality equipment. A nice eclipse deck is gonna set you back at least $500, and a couple JL subs (depending on which ones) will set you back at least $200 a pop, and a JL amp (also depending on which one) will set you back at least $400. Now you add in you other coponent speakers and maybe another amp to run them and you looking at well over $2000, ohh and of course getting an alarm system would be wise also.

NOTE: These prices are an estimate and they are what I gathered while choosing out my system a couple years ago.

·
Registered
666 Posts
[..]

If you want top notch get an eclipse HU, IMO best out there, I had one for about 4 years. ?

I agree with JL subs, also the best out there IMO

But to keep it under $2000 is going to be tough, with that quality equipment. ?A nice eclipse deck is gonna set you back at least $500, and a couple JL subs (depending on which ones) will set you back at least $200 a pop, and a JL amp (also depending on which one) will set you back at least $400. ?Now you add in you other coponent speakers and maybe another amp to run them and you looking at well over $2000, ohh and of course getting an alarm system would be wise also. ?

NOTE: These prices are an estimate and they are what I gathered while choosing out my system a couple years ago.

It will run you this much NEW, but on e-bay ... you get some good deals .. I got my Brand New JL H.O Box with the W3V2's for 375$!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Gotta be careful with Ebay, though. Most manufacturers won't honor warrantys for Ebay purchases. In other words, if you don't have a store receipt.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
[..]

ohh and of course getting an alarm system would be wise also. ?

VERY good point. Once you drop a few thou on some really good equipment, you don't want to be afraid to take it out of the garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So does this mean i cant just keep the stock speakers and just add subs an amp and headunit? The guy I went to see was showing me some memphis subs and memphis amp, bad idea? AND can yall give me some set ups that WILL fit my budget, since you seem to list ones that are plenty over 2000

Also can someone send me a website link so i can check out all this stuff you guys are listing? Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should I go with 10's or 12's? I don't know the difference except their size. Also is boston a good choice for door speakers? AutoRadio man suggested those.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You can still get some nice bass out of 10's. I got 2 10W3's and they are about as loud as I want to go. If they set off alarms as you drive by, I think its loud enough.

I would say go with 10's, they will fit your budget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome tips guys, another question: If I just got everything from autoradio at the same time- would Memphis 10'' subs,, amp, and boston speakers work well? Or will that be a crap-ass system?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would say tens. I'm going with one 10" soon. Of course, it will be either a Directed Audio or an Adire Shiva. Either will seriously pound but I'm more into sound quality and a 10" will give you the best of both worlds.

Honestly, buy your equipment online. It's SO much cheaper. www.thezeb.com has free shipping right now and decent prices. You can't go wrong sticking with the better brands like Infinity for speakers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts