Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running one of these on their X or Mountaineer? I'm looking for some feedback on them before I order one up for my Mountaineer.

Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I had a few questions that I sent to Flik, I will post the answers once he replys.

I do believe that a couple of people have them, I think Flik has one.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have been thinking very seriously about getting one, but there has been some conflicting information going around. Some places indicate the spring is adjustable for the amount of increase in stiffness, ride control, etc. Now that it is listed on Explorer Express's updated web site (yeah!!!
) they have a description that it raises the rear ride height 1/2". I've never heard that before. Does anybody kow if that is true? Flik? Sarek? Anybody

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is a noticable handling improvement with the addition of the Hellwig Stabilizer Bar. It turns in much better and generaly corners better. It no longer pushes you into the side of the seat on a sweeping turn. It works really well in combination with the Ground Force Springs. It does stiffen the ride a bit. I like it, but it is not for everyone. The back seat passengers might get a little thrashed on a sudden harsh bump. Otherwise it is all good. By the way, it does lift the rear end slightly. I know this from personal experience. We have installed these at our service facility here in Richmond Ca. It is not drastic, but slightly noticable. Note: it will not work with dual exhaust routed under the rear suspension.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/3gx/

Here is a picture of the Silver X (2002 XLS 4x4) with the Hellwig Bar and the Ground Force Springs. It is definitely higher than it was without the bar.

If you want a serious drop on a Gen 3 X, you will have to wait for the KW Suspension System.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for the info, John. Its a lot easier to decide when you get some first-hand feedback.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No problem Jeff, that is what I am here for! I will match the price of anyone on the internet (EXCEPT E-Bay).

By the way, Pearl White? Any pictures?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,

Thanks for the first hand input. I tow alot and just want to stiffen up the rear a bit, so I think I may have to pick one of these up.

Chad

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice white Explorer! If you buy those three items at once, I will give you a package deal.

The Hellwig bar is great for towing. Many people consider it a helper spring. It is hard to categorize it because it is so unique. Non the less it will help the ride hight and stability when towing.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Nice white Explorer! If you buy those three items at once, I will give you a package deal.

Thanks for the compliment, John. I'm really liking how the mods are coming together.

We might need to talk. I just sold some extra parts from my BMW "hobby car" that were just taking up space in the garage, and my birthday is in a couple weeks, and I haven't gotten myself any nice birthday presents yet. Couple of questions -

1.) Can a normal guy who overestimates his abilities pretty often, and doesn't have any specialized tools install the springs, or is it best left up to a professional?

2.) One thing that has slowed me down on the hood scoop idea is a concern that on a white hood, the "non-functional" aspect of the scoop might be a lot more obvious than on a darker color. How does it look on the silver truck? Have you ever seen anybody try to put a black "fake shadow" under the scoop? Or what would be really cool would be a "mini grille" that would set back inside the face of the opening. Like a little 2 bar billet grille or something.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hey Jeff....John tried to install the Hellwig on mine but I already had dual Flows so he couldn't do it. But I do have the scoop, just not installed yet. I have to do something about a paint problem on my hood before I install it. I can say it looks awesome and I did see it in person on the silver one. Personally I thought it looked great, you could not tell it was not functional.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks, Susie. I think I'm going to get the scoop. All the photos I've sen of them look great, and I'm sure I'd be the only one on the wide open prairie to have one. I'm still a little up in the air on the suspension issues. The stabilizer sounds like a great addition, and its inexpensive, but I really don't want to jack up the rear any more. Can't decide whether to try the Ground Force springs, or maybe save up box tops until I could swing that fancy new coil-over setup that EE is going to start selling.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm hoping to get the new lift kit next month when they come out with it. I only want to raise it about 3" and I think that's what the max is on it. John wrote a pretty good article on it after SEMA. They are going to be lowering their's and lifting mine....
I lost about 3" clearance when I had the Flowmasters installed and since it is a 4x4 would like to gain that back.

If I had it to do over I probably would have installed the Hellwig first and the Flows after....but we live and learn. The shop told me I might be able to install it after the lift so only time will tell. Good luck

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
jgt02expltd, I recommend holding out for the coil-over setup EE will start selling. Reason being, just speaking from personal experience on buying "acceptable" parts first because you want to save money, and later being dissatisfied and buying the top of the line product.....just save and do what you ultimately will be completely satisfied with. Obviously the coil-over setup is a better quality, most elaborate suspension "kit" you can buy for your Explorer.

My guess is if you buy the Ground Force springs, you'll definitely like them, but eventually you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't just hold out and save for the "real deal."

In my case, it took me four headunits and two sound systems until I learned my absolute lesson and did the full necessary research to figure out what I REALLY want, and that I need to hold out, save, and get the REAL DEAL...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I'm typing this on the 3rd laptop I've had in the last 18 months. I've has enough PDAs to start my own electronics store. Heck, I went through a whole bunch of cars before I decided this was one I was going to keep for a while.

Another reason the KW Suspensions setup is attractive to me is that it is adjustable. I've been worried whether or not my oversize tires would work with lowering springs. With the KW, if I had a problem I could just crank it up until it worked.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Another reason the KW Suspensions setup is attractive to me is that it is adjustable. I've been worried whether or not my oversize tires would work with lowering springs. With the KW, if I had a problem I could just crank it up until it worked.
That's a great point, and I'm sure for many, many Explorer owners it will be the big selling point as well. The versatility of the KW Suspension helps justify the added expense. I'd just save for the KW...ultimately, it's what you or anyone would be completely satisfied with. If you go the coils route, you may not get the result you desire, and if you do have the tire clearance issue, you would be forced to either revert back to the stock springs, or spend a crapload on new, lower profile tires. Either way it'd be a waste of

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Helwig bar is fairly easy to install. The Ground Force springs would be another story. The KW set up would actualy be easier to install because the shocks and springs come preassembled. The Ground Force springs would require using a spring compressor. This is a bit of a job if you have not done it before. I agree that the KW Suspension should be the ultimate set up and it should be worth holding out for.

The hood scoop does have a black colered bolck plate that is recessed a few inches back. The overall look still works on a light colored car.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The hood scoop does have a black colered bolck plate that is recessed a few inches back. The overall look still works on a light colored car.

Well, that answers that. I'm in.

Since I'll need to launch a whole string of eBay auctions to sell off enough spare parts, family heirlooms, small round body parts, etc. to do the "ultimate suspension", my birthday will be a perfect excuse to do the hood scoop, and the billet fuel door I wanted. I'll give you a call, John.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
John:

I PM'd you about some of this stuff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts