Explorer Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in about 2 weeks I will be getting my Tie rods and lower ball joints done.

The best thing is that I have a friend that is going to do it for me, so its not going to be big $$$. The parts are going to run me $67.00 for everything and the labor is going to be $70.00 for everything!! I will not be doing the uppers since they should be fine and last longer then the lowers.

I know there was someone else that did a write up on how to do the installation so I figure I will try to take pictures along the way to go along with what he wrote. Can't wait to get this done... its been a squeeky ride for a little bit. :)

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It was a big problem with fox style mustangs too.

Did you check to see how much a set of new lower arms are? Sometimes it's easier to replace the whole arm instead of the ball joint.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Because if they need to be pressed or burned out, it can become time consuming, especially if your buddy doesn't have a big press.

Tie rods are easy, either hit the side of the spindle that the tie rod goes into, or just get a tie rob fork for 20 bucks (or less). It's weird they can't be knocked out through the top, but they will fall out if you hit the side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do know that he has the ball joint press, and he said that he can do the tie rod in an hour or two. But then again, I will see about the lower arms. :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
$67 dollars for both lower and both tie rods is pretty cheap. The lower ones aren't hard to press out at all, I did it with the balljoint press from autozone, should take about 5 minutes of actual setting up the press and popping them out them out and about 5 minutes to pop them back in, replacing the whole control arm would be more time consuming, because you gotta take out the torsion bar too. Tie rods can be done in less than 30 minutes. Good deal on the labor by the way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, thats what I thought also. Should I even think about doing the upper ones at the same time? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Is an alignment required after replacing the ball joints?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
well, he's replacing tie rods too. So yes for him, but maybe not if you just did the ball joints although it may not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If it's the first time around chaging the upper ball joints, I say yes, because you gotta take off the whole control arm. If it's the second time around and you're chaning the just actual balljoint's I'd say no.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts