Explorer Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have the thing that tells the temperature outside, how accurate do you find it to be?

When temp outside is very cold like 32 it's always says about 4-5 degrees colder, in the 50's is always pretty close, and when it's warm it always reads about 5 degrees warmer that it really is.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I find mine to be very accurate, but not when the car has been sitting in the sun on a really hot day. Usually after 10 minutes it corrects itself. However, I do know that if you get the thermostat replaced it would correct the problem. The actual thermostat costs $23 and change, but the labor is where you will get nailed. All in all, should be under $70 (which is still stupid if you think about it). :roll:

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Actually I think Ford would consider your temp. gauge "normal". They have a + or - of 5 degrees. Personally I would replace the sensor. Both the one in my '95 I had and in my new '03 are both dead on. Except for like Rob said, when it sits in the sun all day. Then it takes a couple of minutes to adjust but, my readings have never been more than 3 degrees of while driving.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe i'll just get the sensor, i get all my ford parts at 10% above dealer cost, so that part should only be like 5-10 bucks, and i'll put it in myself, where's it located?

Mines got to be off, or else the temp here would of been over a hundred from may to august.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Maybe i'll just get the sensor, i get all my ford parts at 10% above dealer cost, so that part should only be like 5-10 bucks, and i'll put it in myself, where's it located?

Mines got to be off, or else the temp here would of been over a hundred from may to august.

Hmm, yeah I guess it is off then :surprised: I dont know where it is located nor how easy it is to replace/install yourself. I only know about this because my dad just had to get his replaced in his '99 XLT.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow if it's showing 100 all the time then yeah it needs replaced.

Rob, incase you ever need to know, the sensor is directly behind the front grille. I never did find it on my '95 and I'm sure yours would be in the same spot that it was on my '95 since they have the same front end. On my '03 the sensor has nothing else around it. It's basically out in the open.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I'll have to check for it sometime. That's good to know, thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your temp sensor is located in the fron the vehicle behind the grille, its small kind of like a cigar shape, usually there down below the radiator or near the lights.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Well my sensor died sometime between yesterday and today. It's said 68 all day whenit's been 85+ out. I guess I'll have it fixed when I take the X in for it's oil change in December. Oy!! Too many little problems with this truck.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Well my sensor died sometime between yesterday and today. It's said 68 all day whenit's been 85+ out. I guess I'll have it fixed when I take the X in for it's oil change in December. Oy!! Too many little problems with this truck.

G

·
i believe its mounted somewere near the radiator, probly in the front, i never really had to look for it and i hopefully never have to...but yea ford says its in the genital area, they say it can be 5 degrees off both wayz...

adam

and yes i did mean to spell general, genital...lol...if u didn't catch it, go take some english classes.....

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I was gonna ask where the genital part of the Explorer is. Then maybe I can find out for real if it's male or female.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'd rather not have a male, knowing that if I was to ever have to change the tire I dont need that tailpipe up my ass or hanging around

·
Registered
7,812 Posts

I figure if my X is female, then I can say that I ride around in my *censored* all day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts