Explorer Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly divorced and never had to deal with this stuff before, so I need some guidance.
I have 2004 Explorer XLT V6. I have had issues off & on for the last few months with #4 Misfire and Overheating issues. Thought the overheating issues were taken care of 2 months ago and had the Fuel Injector changed last week. Had no Engine light on until Friday night. About 30 minutes into my drive the truck overheated and for the 1st time coolant came out of the lid of the reservoir. Truck cooled down to where I could get it to where I was going without overheating again. Took it to the garage the next morning where they say the PO304 & PO316 codes are showing again. They say it is most likely a Blown Head Gasket causing the overheating. But as far as I know the coolant is still green and the oil is brown - not milky.... I have googled :) I don't have the money right now for the HG Repair since I have dumped over $1600 into it for various things over tha last few months. I was told there is a temporary fix (Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Fix) to get me by until I can get the real repair done. I read some reviews and seems there are mixed messages but Ford owners seem to have had descent results with it. So I need some guidance on what to do and the best product to use for a bandaid.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear about all of your troubles. I would lean towards the head gasket indeed being blown. How many miles are on the truck? I would not use Bars or any other additive to even try to get another mile out of it. Those are some of the worst things you can put into an engine and they can cause way more issues than they even attempt to fix. There is no band-aid for a blown head gasket and if you really need the truck I would suggest just getting it done and maybe borrowing funds from a friend or family member. If you continue to drive in its current state, it's only going to get worse and if pushed too hard will kill your entire engine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Maybe you can carpool or borrow a vehicle from someone? That's really low mileage to develop a head gasket problem have you kept up on maintenance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.