Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone out there in Exploder land.... I need some advice, I will list it.

I have a 2000 XLT Exploder. SOHC V6 200,000 kms.

1) Engine Code P0171/P0174. Theres enough info on here for this, but if anyone wants to add anything.. ( The bloke i bought it off has a Performance Pod filter on it, perhaps replace with original filter? ) Engine light was on when i purchased it. The only real problem i have with it is Cold start up. Stalls from low revs.

2) Timing Chain Noise. When i first start it it is noisy, if i turn engine off and start it again its not so bad. Maybe the tensioners?

3) CV Joint, left side? After i drive in the rain, the next time i drive there is a noise coming from left wheel, (not brakes ) metalic sound, goes away after awhile. But back again after rain. Not real sure about how to go about it, took it to a FORD dealership, didnt seem interested.. Hmmm...

4) leaking Front diff pinion seal, same dealer said dont worry about it, since its a slow leak. How and were do i check fluid levels? Is it a big operation?

I have a few other questions, if anyone out there is interested. I previously had a Holden (Chevy in the states) never had a problem... Fell in love with the Ford Explorer, even with all its bad press... Glad i got it, so i can fit the family in it.. Love the look, but more hassle.. Im sure it will be worth it in the end.... maybe not... haha...

Recently bought a scan tool, hooked it up via my computer... like i said i have some more questions on the data feedback,

Thanks all...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Engine codes: Same as I told the last guy who was running lean. Check the MAF, make sure you have a vacuum (take off one of the hose and put your thumb over it), and check your EGR valve.

Timing chain... I wouldn't think after only 124,274 miles that this would be in bad shape. Do you personally know the person you bought it from? Did they drive it like a bat out of hell? Were they hard on the motor? Did they think it was a race car? lol

I'd check the tensioners- specifically the center one.

CV Joints can be kind of tricky. I will assume they have never been changed. Look at the boots and see if there are any holes- maybe all the grease has escaped the boot? This happened to me when I bought my 4Runner. I had to replace the WHOLE front end. Ugh. Women drivers.... LOL

Your pinion seal is actually an easy job. I found the below for you so I wouldn't have to type it all out. You can also take the nut off the differential and stick your pinky finger in there and down. If you don't feel any fluid, You have an issue.

*Use an inlb torque wrench to determin the original pinion bearing preload.

1) remove the outter nut. the Pinion nut holds everything togeather at an exact tolerance. before you remove it, turn the flange to get a feeling for how much (little) force it takes to turn it. the nut squeezes everything togeather to where the pinion takes 15-25 inlbs of torque to be turned.

2) take flange off

3) pry old seal off

3) should be a 'oil slinger' it will look like a lil shim, should fall right out

4) Tail pinoin bearing is next. Maybe this is where the gear puller comes into play? not sure on that... just giving you the jist hah

5) infront of the tail bearing you will see a small ring. This is the crush sleeve... very important aspect of the whole idea behind retaining that 15-25 inlbs of tolerance. You should try and get a new one of these, infact a couple since you might not get it right the first time :D an extra pinion seal will be handy.

* Start cleaning all the parts (even the new ones) with brake cleaner...

6) Replace crush sleeve with new one

7) Press tail bearing on to pinion shaft

8) replace oil slinger

9) Install new pinion seal. Make sure to put some silicon around the edges of it. And from here you can tap it on with a rubber mallet. go in a cirular motion, usually does the trick.

10) Replace flange. Some manuals call for a lil anti-seize on the splines there.

11) Pinion nut time/Crushing the Crushsleeve. This is the hard part, you got all the way here and if you mess up on this step, you gotta start all over! Make sure you have a inlb toruqe wrench that can read as low as 15 inlbs. A strong impact will do the job. if not, a 3foot braker bar should.

Good luck! What are your other questions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Everyone out there in Exploder land.... I need some advice, I will list it.

I have a 2000 XLT Exploder. SOHC V6 200,000 kms.

1) Engine Code P0171/P0174. Theres enough info on here for this, but if anyone wants to add anything.. ( The bloke i bought it off has a Performance Pod filter on it, perhaps replace with original filter? ) Engine light was on when i purchased it. The only real problem i have with it is Cold start up. Stalls from low revs.

2) Timing Chain Noise. When i first start it it is noisy, if i turn engine off and start it again its not so bad. Maybe the tensioners?

3) CV Joint, left side? After i drive in the rain, the next time i drive there is a noise coming from left wheel, (not brakes ) metalic sound, goes away after awhile. But back again after rain. Not real sure about how to go about it, took it to a FORD dealership, didnt seem interested.. Hmmm...

4) leaking Front diff pinion seal, same dealer said dont worry about it, since its a slow leak. How and were do i check fluid levels? Is it a big operation?

I have a few other questions, if anyone out there is interested. I previously had a Holden (Chevy in the states) never had a problem... Fell in love with the Ford Explorer, even with all its bad press... Glad i got it, so i can fit the family in it.. Love the look, but more hassle.. Im sure it will be worth it in the end.... maybe not... haha...

Recently bought a scan tool, hooked it up via my computer... like i said i have some more questions on the data feedback,

Thanks all...
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/index.php and try ebay for the timing chain $ 770.00

1 - 3 of 3 Posts