Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I finally have the money to get my Explorer into the body shop and also the time; so now that I am absolutely CERTAIN of what I am going to have done to my car, I am going to have my entire car repainted. The plan was to stay black and possibly go to a metallic black.

But as much as I love black its SUCH a bitch to keep clean and show quality. Guys, what color should I paint my X...keep it black? Change it? My entire car is going to be taken apart one way or the other so NOW is the time to get this done. Vote in the poll but also please give me your remarks, I need some help...

I know I toyed with this idea in the past but I in many ways am thinking that although the black is awesome to keep and it would probably be the cheapest of all to get done, I will have the money to do this and like I said, its now or forever black.

BTW don't even bother suggesting off the wall color combinations, let's take this seriously.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also please for those of you who are voting, I hate to nag, but can you please tell me what you selected and why? I am curious because everyone has their two cents, and it can make the difference.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i said the blue bc for one i love the look of my car washed and waxeit just looks amazing to me.. but my second color of choice would def be the silver......

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I voted to keep it "black"...the reason is I just think an X looks better black. It shows the lines of the truck and just goes with the tinited windows and looks like a whole package. I know it's hard to keep clean, having 2 black vehicles in the family it can become bothersome. But they look so good sitting side by side in when they are clean

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I voted to keep it "black"...the reason is I just think an X looks better black. ?It shows the lines of the truck and just goes with the tinited windows and looks like a whole package. ?I know it's hard to keep clean, having 2 black vehicles in the family it can become bothersome. ?But they look so good sitting side by side in when they are clean

:word:

It would be the cheapest option as well for obvious reasons so if the cost difference is too high then this is what I will have to go with...not that I'm complaining.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Rob, if you don't keep it black, you need to double your paint budget, changing colors on a vehicle is not recommended. There's issues such as, engine bay, door panels, inside parts that are viewable.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I was aware about that, but I didn't even think of the engine bay. Blah. Maybe this was just a crazy brainstorm :roll:

Hey Joe i have a place in mind but where do you recommend will do the best body/paint work around here?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
a crazy brainstorm ?:roll:

Ya, you got alot of crazy idea's rolling around in that head of yours.

It's really just too much trouble to change the color on a daily driven vehicle. Takes weeks to get it back, possibly months, not to mention all the plastic interior stuff they take off, will now rattle. Late model cars have so many parts to remove.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Black and white repaints could be played off. Having those interior pieces engine bay/door trim black or white would stand out, if it was green or red then yeah....but It could be passed off, hell maybe a two tone customized

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess this entire discussion is really all water over the dam, I will just keep it black as it is now. But obviously its getting an entire new paint job.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Stay with black you won't regret it, I know.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
BLACK! It would make it look better than it already does, plus, like said earlier, cheaper

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Rob you could do it metallic black, you wouldnt have to do all of the jambs because it wont be real noticable, the cost shoudnt be any more if you leave the jambs, under the hood, ect the regular black. If you notice most of the new vehicle have a different shade of the exterior color in the jambs (other than the doors & tailgate) but if you stick with regular black jambs and add the metallic to the exterior I doubt anyone would notice. The most you would have to do is just the door jambs since you see that all the time but under the hood and tailgate wouldnt really be noticable.

You just have to make sure you pick out a true black metallic.

If you like blue you could check out the Saturn color from a few years back that was called blueblack, it is very dark and only looks blue when the sun hits it, it mostly looks black.

There are some custom colors that you could check into that may do the same type of thing, Honda had a black met that is hard to tell that it isnt black until the sun hits it, also I believe Acura has a color like that.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Brad thanks a lot for your insight, I knew you'd be able to shed some light into this. So going with a Metallic Black wouldn't be much more than if I just had everything else painted regular black? Interesting. Well I guess I'll have to see what the estimate guy says anyway. I wouldn't bother getting under the hood painted metallic black since that would be a waste. The door jambs I might have done, I suppose it wouldn't really hurt. Plus on the drivers side its sort of wearing off, really bizarre. Thank God its only in there and not on the actual exterior.

I think the Metallic black or regular black is ultimately what it will come down to. Anything else would be pretty damn drastic and would require everything else to be taken off and painted for things such as the hood etc.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I agree with you at least keeping it black or metallic black, I think you will be happy. I did a color change on one of my friends mustang back in the 80's from yellow to porsche red.....it looked great when it was done, I took everything apart and did all of the jambs, the problem was when he ran it into a pile of snow and the front bumper "flexed" then the nice red started comming off and man did it look terrible, bright yellow and red :roll:

You are much better off with choosing the same color or close to the same, when you go with big color differences and you get the little chips, or the paint starts to come off around the jambs and hinges it really looks like crap!!

Just chech with the shop and ask them how much trouble it would be to do the exterior in the metallic and if it would cost more (it really shouldnt cost any more, they usually have a flat formula for paint/materials)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts