Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out if anyone else is having problems with their dark color paint job on the '02 or new ones yet

There are several spots on my hood, the door jam on the drivers side by the window as well as the post between the front and rear doors. I paid an additional $1000 to have an aftermarket product called Prestege put on outside, inside and under (for sound) and they are giving me a hassle about having it repainted. I have heard that Ford started using cheaper paint but don't know if that is a true statement or not.

Anyone have any idea

Rob....I'm not going to put on my hood scoop until I find out what I'm going to do about this. I have received it and in the same perfect condition that you said your arrived in
My husband is being firm about taking care of the hood before I put it on...he knows I'll hurry up now

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Susie I have heard of a problem with the factory paint before on newer models once. There was a guy on EF that bought a brand new 2002 Sport in black. He said the paint started peeling all over the hood and he took it back to Ford and they repainted it but then I think it didn't match or something or wasn't a very good job. I think in the end he finally got it fixed and had no more problems. That was about a year ago and now you're the second person with a black X to encounter the problem. You may, unfortunately, be one of the lucky ones who are having problems. You might want to try going back to your dealer since it is under warranty still and see what they say.

Another problem that doesn't directly relate to you or anything, was that I heard some Escapes were making it out of the factory without painted roofs. That's kinda scary.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Ryan...I have contacted the dealer but because we purchased the Presitge coating I have to go to them. They are giving me a hassle cause they are saying it is Ford's problem. Typical I think right

I am going to take it to Walnut Creek Ford and see what they say. They are a great dealer and we have no problems with them and our aftermarket stuff. They just work on it and have said that if something is due to the aftermarket product they will let us know. So far so good, and they are one of the nicest dealers we have ever dealt with

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
What do the spots look like? dose it look like it is on top of the paint or comming through the paint? That would make a big difference in who would be responsible.

Do you have a pic of the damage?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It won't show up I've tried, my car is black. However, it shouldn't make a difference who is responsible. That is why you purchase the aftermarket product and have your car covered. It is guaranteed for the life of the car as long as I own it, bottom line. It is a paint protectant so is doesn't get damaged by bird droppings, road tar, etc.

On the hood it looks like bubble spots but doesn't bubble on the side it looks like it would be oxidizing. I'll see if I can get a pic of that tomorrow....that one might work.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
It won't show up I've tried, my car is black. ?However, it shouldn't make a difference who is responsible. ?That is why you purchase the aftermarket product and have your car covered. ?It is guaranteed for the life of the car as long as I own it, bottom line. ?It is a paint protectant so is doesn't get damaged by bird droppings, road tar, etc.

On the hood it looks like bubble spots but doesn't bubble on the side it looks like it would be oxidizing. ?I'll see if I can get a pic of that tomorrow....that one might work.

It would appear that if the damage is on the surface then the "paint protectant company" should be responsible but if the paint is bubbling it sounds like it would be something that Ford would need to take care of.

It sucks to have to have factory paint redone, it's just never the same.

I havent heard of any paint problems but you can always get a bad paint job from the factory, It sounds like you are on the right track having the dealer check it out.

Good luck with everything

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is going to be hard to write and let you guys know what happened.

Last week I took the X in for it's 24k check. I inquired about the problems on the hood with the paint. They took pictures, sent it into Ford and Ford denyed the claim, saying it was something that had gotten on the hood that was causing the problem. After much deliberation I went back today.......I talked with the Service Manager and told him if that was the case then it would be on either one or both of the fenders or even the roof. He had the detailers wash my X....(it's been raining the last few days) had me sit in the lobby until he could really give it the once over.

He came to me and AGREED...I have a problem and need to have it repainted. He said the paint is bubbling up and that it was a bad paint job. I have to go to the dealer I purchased it from though (Hayward Ford) but he is willing to have them call him so he can explain to them so I don't have to go through everything all over again.

Now...we're getting somewhere...I'll be able to get my scoop on soon

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Why do you have to go to the dealer you bought it from?

I thought if there was a warrenty problem any Ford Lincoln Mercury dealer could perform the repairs. I have my warrenty work done at a different dealer than I bought me X from (I will never ever have anything mechanical performed at the dealer I bought mine from...EVER) sorry but they suck. The saleman is great though, I have used him since 1990, I have one at Lincoln Mercury I have used since 79....damn I'm old

I dont see why the guy that found youre problem cant submit the claim to Ford and perform the repairs at his dealer.

I know Ford used to make you go back to the selling dealer unless you lived 50 miles or more away but that changed a few years ago (come to think of it I have had warrenty work done at several different dealers in the past few years)

Good luck, I know how crappy the dealers are getting to work with lately

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only reason is because the dealer here does not have a body shop, otherwise he would have handled it. Sorry I should have said that to begin with.

I'm with you on the dealer though...these guys are great and the one we purchased from we really like the salesman. He sold my husbands F-150 to us as well. They are one of the largest dealers in Northern Cali so they do work with you.

Your right it sucks but if I get it painted I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
OIC 8O

I hope they dont give you the run a round and they take care of youre paint

and you can get youre scoop installed 8)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Susie,

Have you gotten anywhere with this? I'm asking because I washed my black Mountaineer yesterday and found a few spots on my hood that look like the paint is blistered and cracking. I have a few things I need to get it to the dealer for and now I can add this to the list.

Chad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Snoozer- I had some paint issues with my black 03' too. My problem areas were on the roof(the rear hatch and some of the channels on top of the roof). There were some spots where the paint ran way too thin-I mean you could literaly see the dang primer. I was sooooo ticked off. I couldn't believe this made it's way out of the factory.
I tried to resolve the problem with my dealership but they gave me the run around. Needless to say, I tore that dealership a new one on my customer survey which I sent back to Ford. I actually had to go across town to another dealership to resolve the problem. It's fine now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts