Explorer Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thought I would do a write up on how I cleaned up the underside of my Xploda...

Here is the list of materials I used:

Newspaper and tape

Bottle of Simple Green cleaner

Wire Brush

2 cans of Rust-oleum Rusty Metal Primer

2 cans of Rust-oleum Flat Black enamel

pressure washer (optional)

First off I took a wire brush to everything that I wanted to paint, scrubed really good.

Then sprayed everything down with simple green and let set for bout 20 mins. After it set I then used my pressure washer to rinse everything off, let this dry.

Tape off and cover stuff you dont want painted. (I used newspaper)

Then take your rust primer and spray all the pieces you want to paint. Let dry. Next take the black enamel spray and go over the same pieces.

In the end you'll end up with something like this:

All in all was a A+ mod to do. Make sure you have a nice sunny day and several hours on your hands to do this.

I didnt have a whole lot of rust but wanted to clean up the looks of my underbody. Anyways good luck, hope this helps

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
That definitely came out fantastic!
I will have to do that sometime. For added underbody aesthetics I'd also really like to get a chrome differential cover.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Do you know how well this is going to hold up? How many coats of the actual paint did you apply? Any clearcoat?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Cool write-up!!!
I need to clean my underside but I won't be painting.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Nice job, I miss working in the body shop, they had a nice pressure washer and lots of free paint and masking paper

I really need to get off my azz and get my undercarriage painted up.

or I could make a road trip down south

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Cool. Sometime I am going to pull my whole rear axle out and paint it and the other suspension parts with POR-15 (Paint over rust). It is a gloss black, but I bet I could paint it with flat black over it. I have plenty of rust. Too much for my liking on the underside.

http://www.prp-porstore.com/

eXplorerchic, Keep us updated on how the leaf spring paint holds up
By any chance, did you paint your exhaust?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ally I'd like to use this to make an article out of it for the "main site." Would you be willing to allow me to use your info and pictures? Of course you would take credit for all of it! Let me know if its cool with you, I wouldn't want to do it without your permission.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
99SportX, yes i did but its getting replaced soon with a Flowmaster cat-back 8)

Rob, Thats cool use away

1 - 13 of 13 Posts