Explorer Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I would like to paint my Speed grilles black once I receive them. How well will paint hold up on brushed aluminum? Is it very hard to do in terms of keeping the paint on? I don't see how you could "prep" it and I'm sure it would be very vigorous, so if its just a matter of painting it black and clearcoating it I have no problem doing that. But I am concerned as to how well it will stick and hold on brushed aluminum.

Can anyone shed any light or experience on this? If I can't paint it black, no big deal. But I would really like to. I also don't want it to start chipping like crazy or even worse, "washing off" so to speak.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
In the past years I have painted chrome items, I had a 92 F150 that I painted the mirrors and door handles that were chrome. I uesd epoxy primer PPG DP-40. It is a 2 part epoxy that you mix with a hardner, it has to sit for around 20 minutes then you spray it over the chrome (of aluminum) and let it dry and then apply youre paint.

I traded the truck in about 6 months after I did all of the work on it but I saw it years later and it was still on there. That stuff works great, I have also used it on aluminum wheels and I even painted my 1/4 glass on a 94 Sable wagon that I had, it held up pretty good on there for a coulpe of years, it finally started to come off between the moulding and the glass (I figured it would have came off alot sooner)

I dont have any experience with the powder coat, I suppose that would work as well, I know that they can do all kinds of metal and aluminum wheels so I dont see why they couldnt do the grille as well.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight Brad, definitely shed a lot of light. I assume it might just be easier and possibly less expensive to just have it powdercoated. But I will follow up on the instructions you gave me and give it more serious thought. I'm assuming after the paint you can clearcoat it right?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You might talk to Sarek. I know he powdercoated some billet grilles a while back.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might talk to Sarek. ?I know he powdercoated some billet grilles a while back.
OK thanks, and you're right I just remembered about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts