Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be switching back to my 20" rims from the stockers since Winter is over and spring is here. While i have the wheels off im going to go ahead and paint my calipers.

I will be using the G2 Caliper Paint system which comes in a variety of colors.. but which color do i use?

Blue? Red? Yellow? Silver? Black? White?

Im really stumped because my X is all blue, the blue theme is carried through out the vehicle. If I paint my calipers blue will I be going overboard? Maybe i need something with more contrast? The only red on my truck is the Edelbrock shocks. But red might work?

Here is a pic of my truck to help u decide:

Help me Decide :)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I would not do red or yellow - both will clash too much. The blue wouldnt match right and I am afraid it might like you said, be overdoing it. Then again my friend with a 3rd generation X painted his blue (and his X is blue) and it looks great. Silver would look good.....Black wouldn't be noticeable....and white would be IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean, not to mention it would stick out way too much.

So I say Silver or blue...not in any order...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I say blue. I think it'll look good. I've seen a lot of brake calipers painted body color and I liked it every time.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I say red or silver.

I will say that my brother painted the calipers on his Lincoln LS silver, and even though the stock ones are silver, it looked way better.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I say black. Painted calipers will kill the look IMO. The blue and chrome is just beautiful.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well.. at this point im gonna say its between BLUE and RED. Ive ruled out silver only because its going to look pretty similar to stock, and since this paint kit is 38$, i gotta feel like im getting something outta this whole process.

So.....

BLUE or RED??

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Blue.

I'm thinking of painting mine blue. I think its "Ford - like"

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've seen all the colors - and they are bright. The blue is going to be a bright blue and I really don't know how that will look. But I don't think the red would look good either. I apinted mine with the red, but on a white X and having the red R in the center cap, it matches pretty good.

This is just my opinion, but if my X was your color, I would get the blue kit and the black kit and mix the two together at about 80% blue, 20%black. That would darken it up some and would match a little closer... JMO of course...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Cobra that's certainly a good idea, but at the price per kit I'm sure he won't want to opt for that. Although you certainly have a great suggestion.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Thats just the way I would go. Anabolic has such a clean ride and everything flows so well, this would be more of an option to me than just standard paint. If price was the reason, I would just save a few more dollars and get both instead of doing it one way and not being happy.

Hell - Anabolic - I'll even help chip in if you need - thats how much I think you would like it more...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
CobraXP, you know I just know in my heart that I would really like a supercharger more than my V6 engine. Care to chip in? :D

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
What about just NOT painting them?? anybody like this method best? cuz that is always an option too LOL

I'm up for this one over painting black!!!! My friend always tells me I should paint my calipers but honestly I like them how they are. I say keep them unpainted or paint them black. I guess I'm alone on this but oh well.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey, wasn't sure that you were actually considering NOT painted them at all. If you are keeping this option then I say GO FOR THAT, because I really need to do mine over and believe me they are a PITA to keep clean and looking good. DO NOT paint them unless you are absolutely sure you will continue to keep up with them - because once you let them go, they look terrible and stick out just as bad as if they were horridly rusted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats just the way I would go. ?Anabolic has such a clean ride and everything flows so well, this would be more of an option to me than just standard paint. ?If price was the reason, I would just save a few more dollars and get both instead of doing it one way and not being happy.

Hell - Anabolic - I'll even help chip in if you need - thats how much I think you would like it more... ?

I do take paypal donations, please send 38$ to my paypall account. hehe j/k. it would be 80 dollars to buy two kits tho, and dont wanna pay that much, especially since ill be getting a bunch of redundant stuff in the kit that i wont need.

I wonder if I could mix some regular high-temp paint into the blue to darken it? But if that didnt work id be pissed because i would have just ruined a 40 dollar paint kit

Rob This kit is designed so that the calipers never have to be cleaned using harsh brake cleaners and stuff, and it says soap and water will clean them to "like new" appearance. And since i wash my car once a week, or least once every other week, i dont think they will get out of hand. But i definatly see where u r coming from. Right now im thinkin i may just not do it all because i cant come up with a solution that im completely happy with, and this mod is pretty permanent....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts