Explorer Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our latest and greatest featured article is now available on our main page! Here's an excerpt from the article:

Not only will performance tires give your truck better handling on the road, but they can substantially improve your ride quality. We took a look at the some of the most popular all-weather performance tires and put them to the ExplorerX test.

Only a handful of years ago, 17" rims were about the norm for aftermarket sized rims, and I wouldn't have expected anything bigger than maybe 18. Anything larger than that would be considered excessive, and definitely come packaged with a hefty price tag. But now it is the year 2003, and the aftermarket for both wheels, tires, and other car accessories has exploded. Although the Explorer unfortunately does have a limited aftermarket selection, with enough cash there's basically limitless things that can be achieved.

Be sure to read the full article here and by all means post your feedback! 8)

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Very nice article Rob!!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Rob great article!

My summer tires “are” or soon to be “were” the Pirelli Scorpions 255x55R18”

My ride is AWD and after only 2 ½ years I’ve pretty well worn the tread off of them.

My next set will be the Kumo's

2 Reasons Cost & Treadwear = 320

Kumho

Ecsta STX PRICE $98

Size:255/55VR18

Pirelli PRICE $141

Scorpion Zero

Size:255/55VR18

Kumho vs Pirelli

HANDLING RATING

8.90 8.70

DRY TRACTION

9.2 9.1

WET TRACTION

8.7 8.4

SNOW TRACTION

6.7 5.9

RIDE COMFORT

8.2 7.8

NOISE COMFORT

8.1 7.4

WEAR

8.6 7.5

TREADWEAR RATING

320 300

TRACTION RATING

A A

TEMPERATURE RATING

A A

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lot of people really neglect Kumho or really most tires unless its 'Pirelli', 'Toyo', or 'Goodyear.' The point of my article was although to have a wide range of tires to profile, just because its more expensive and better known doesn't mean its always the best choice. Kumho definitely comes out on top, and your side by side comparison right there just proves that point.

I know I'll be replacing my new tires (Dunlop) for the Cobra R setup once the tread wears out on that with either the Toyo Proxies or Kumho Ecsta's, most likely the Ecsta's.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Kuhmos are good as far as sticky, but you'll find that most people feel they wear out too quickly, they make too much road noise, and seems quality control is an issue and they have balancing and sidewall bubbling problems.

They are good for 98 bucks a tire. But you get what you pay for.

I also find they are rated better for the snow than most tires in their class.

On the back of my mustang i got 10,000 out of a set of kuhmos, which is nearly the same as i got from nitto drag radials. The drag radials were far better in every area. Except for when it was cold and raining (both together) they were good when it was warm and raining though.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The whole reason I planned on switching from Pirelli to Kumhos was for the reason the they are suppose to last longer and yes $$

Pirelli's tread wear was 300 compared to the Kumho's tread wear was 320.

As I mentioned above my ride is AWD so I'm not able to burn the rubber off the rear tires, the Pirelli's just plain wore out.

So if replace all four tires. at $98.- per tire compared to $141, I save $172 :!:

Also note:

Those Pirelli (255x55R18 reinforced) are some heavy ba$$ turds about (50lbs each w/rims)

·
Registered
640 Posts
So far I am quite pleased with my Pirellis. Of course I haven't had them on long enough to get any idea about tread wear. :roll: So far they are quiet, work well in the rain, grip like crazy in the dry and are currently taking up residence in the garage until winter is over.

Local tire shop told me they sell more of the Kumho STX than any other "street truck" tire. I was still too chicken chit to try them though.

I liked the look of the Proxes but couldn't get any real positive remarks on them.

had a set of Nittos on a Honda. They were complete crap (NT-450)

ANY 255/55/18 combo is going to seem like a boat anchor compared to the factory setup. I went crazy checking rim/tire combo weights, so trust me I know. My Moda/Scorpion combo is right around 62lb a piece. OUCH! Still it's featherweight beside some of those bling blangy setups.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
My truck has 50,000 miles on it, my rear tires are the original fronts (ever) they are pirelli p-zero scorpians. I should of replaced them like 10-15,000 miles ago, but from having the mustang forever, i got used to getting ever single mile out of my tires. My nittos should be here on monay, and my rear pirellis are 100% bald.

BTW, when the kuhmos start to get bald, they will need rebalancing.

I'll bet the kuhmos wear out quicker.

Think of it this way, the same kind of kuhmo tires are used by some guys for autocrossing, because they stick better than most tires, and when you wear them out, they were only 75 bucks.

Personally i don't ever trust treadwear ratings.

As i said, the kuhmos on my car got the same amount of time as my nitto drag radials, and the nitto treadwear was 000 so..

I do believe the kuhmo is a good tire, i would say get them if you want to.

But in the end i belive they will need replacing earlier, and the prices would equal out in the end.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good insight, I mean you have experience with several brands of tires for several different applications and uses, so you can't argue with that. I guess I'll stick with the Pirelli's whenever the time comes for me to replace the Dunlops that are wrapped around my Cobra R's.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I've had more than 50+ tires on the stang, mileage wise bridgestones are the best i've used, But they were hard as rocks. And tire places had a hard time getting them on the rims and off of them, so i would not use them again.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
See these, they are not a perfect match but they are close, but sumitomo (bottom one) owns dunlop (top one), i have the bottom set on my mustang in a 265 35 18, they were 150 a tire, the matching set of dunlops were 297 at the time. Same tires except the dunlops had one more grove towars the side, i just used these 2 for examples, i could find the perfect match, they must of stopped making them.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I guess with tires, it basically is personal preference other than Firestone AT’s. :snipe:

Just a quick note

Before the tire goes back on my ride (summer/winter) I have them rebalanced, just a habit I've gotten myself into.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Oh thats great, my sniper was suppost to be shooting the firestone tires.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just thought id let you know I read this article before I bought the rims and tires from the previous owner and its what sealed the deal! Awesome articel man!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just thought id let you know I read this article before I bought the rims and tires from the previous owner and its what sealed the deal! Awesome articel man! ?
Hey that is awesome man. Do you agree with the comments made about the Kumho Ecsta tires that were made in the article?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes absolutely ... They are the best tires Ive EVER had ona truck ... and well i can vouge for wet and dry driving conditions bec they barely squeel when taking a corner at speeds above 50+MPH ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts