Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've noticed for the past few months, i have a popping noise coming from my front susp. and i wanted to know if u guyz have any advice for me on what i should look at/tighten up. The popping noise sounds like a shock being loose or something...any help will be greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, an added piece of info....it only happens when going over a pump and thats at any speed. it sounds like its coming from both sides. i got the ball joints replaced last month...but i also had them redo the alignment...so i don't know if they didn't tighten something....i don't know...thank u for ur input!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
i get that same noise but its when im turning sharp at a low speed. It might be because i have AWD?? but i think i know what your saying, as for the cause of it?? I have no clue, hopefully somebody will..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
My thought was ball joints, but you had them replaced. How about the bushings? Had them replaced?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no....but i don't believe its them because they aren't loose at all.....but i can check again...

96Exploder- i've had the noise from day one....i've classified that as normal in my book.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Loose wouldn't be the problem. Worn out would be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but i don't feel it in the steering wheel at all and if it was the tie rod ends u would...their is no play what so ever in the stearing....so i'm still on a question mark ?

<---new avatar----this is the result of the little fight me and the parents had tonight...i told them i didnt want to drive it anymore if they weren't gona stop playing their games and just give me it and let me start making payments....stupid people...grrr...so as of now i am explorerless...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Balljoints all greased up?

Could be a bad positioned tie rod end. I've had this clunking on left turns only for about two months now. Just got an alignment(oh yeah, seems it got rid of the 60mph+ giant vibrator mode), and the clunk had just about disappeared. I looked underneath and the tie rod end is sitting at a really weird angle. Gonna move it around tomorrow and see what happens

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
<---new avatar----this is the result of the little fight me and the parents had tonight...i told them i didnt want to drive it anymore if they weren't gona stop playing their games and just give me it and let me start making payments....stupid people...grrr...so as of now i am explorerless...

Dude that sucks. I hope you get everything worked out with your parents.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Balljoints all greased up? ?

Could be a bad positioned tie rod end. ?I've had this clunking on left turns only for about two months now. ?Just got an alignment(oh yeah, seems it got rid of the 60mph+ giant vibrator mode), and the clunk had just about disappeared. ?I looked underneath and the tie rod end is sitting at a really weird angle. ?Gonna move it around tomorrow and see what happens

the ball joints were just put on about two months ago so they should be fine....and i don't think its my tie rod ends because i don't feel it in the steering but i did start hearing it after i got it aligned so maybe they screwed something up....i don't know...but thanks guyz for the suggestions

03ExplorerSPT- thanks man....i'm trying to get it worked out but my rents are now on this kick that they can take it anytime without telling me and sometimes it conflicts with what i'm doing or if i'm doing matinence on it...so i don't know i'm ready to say fuc* it and just drive the pontiac and let them drive that all the time...i dont know...
: ....

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Adam have you thought about just buying another X? Since you said earlier that you would make payment I guess that means you have a job. If your parents are going to be all weird about it I say just go shopping for another 2nd gen. X. There are plenty out there and I'm sure you would find one that suits you well. If your parents are going to continue to be like they are I think you seriously should consider this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adam have you thought about just buying another X? ?Since you said earlier that you would make payment I guess that means you have a job. ?If your parents are going to be all weird about it I say just go shopping for another 2nd gen. X. ?There are plenty out there and I'm sure you would find one that suits you well. ?If your parents are going to continue to be like they are I think you seriously should consider this.

i can't buy myself a car untill i'm out of college....parents rule....dad says i didn't need a car payment untill i'm out of college. i said just give me their x and i wouldn't have to worry about missing payments and stuff but he didn't like that and said no u can just drive ours for now....and he said we don't have money for another x...and some how we were able to scrape up some extra bucks to get a 2003 Galant.....interesting....i just shake my head at them. but thats what i plan on doing is getting my own x sometime...because the x i run now always has a freakin problem...but i still love it....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FOUND..!!!!

hey guyz, yea i found out the problem finaly, it was the swar bar end linkedge rode....i think thats what its called...i'll have pics here soon. but what i did was put a jake in the center of the front cross memeber and jack it up untill the wheels were off the ground so i could take all the tension off the suspension. then i went around shacking stuff and i came across the linkedge rode and we've replaced them once because the stock ones are noted for breaking...and it was loose i just tighten it up and threw some grease in the ball joints all is gone....
:!: ....i was so happy its gone now and it was so simple.....pics on the way...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here are the pics of the sway bar end linkage bar....i can't remeber exactly what its called somewere around them lines

new ones we put on about a year ago that got loose...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think of those. Good thing it was something simple. Yeah there's called sway bar end links, or stabilizer bar end links.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not to get off the subject but damn mr. frickea86,

You live in Pa. and your parents are letting you drive with those tires 8O

There is very little profile left on the tread for winter driving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts