Explorer Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have some rubbing on my tires but I'm not entirely sure, I'm a little afraid to find out the hard way. Whenever the wheel is cranked all the way it sounds like it is touching something. I tried turning my wheels all the way in one direction and getting out of the car to look at it but from what I can see it doesn't really look like its touching anything.

Here's my tire dimensions:

275-55-17

Whereas my stock tire dimensions were:

255-70-16

I think the extra width in the tires is the reason why I'm having the problem. My guess is the guy that owned this setup before me was running spacers, and thats why he didn't have the problem. I never remember him mentioning anything about a shortened steering radius. How can I fix this?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Yeah those might be rubbing. I think the maximum width you could go without rubbing was 265. I could be wrong though. The only thing I can think that would help would be to get some spacers but not huge ones, or to go with a 265 tire. I hope you find a solution!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah those might be rubbing. ?I think the maximum width you could go without rubbing was 265. ?I could be wrong though. ?The only thing I can think that would help would be to get some spacers but not huge ones, or to go with a 265 tire. ?I hope you find a solution!!

Well I can't change the width of the tires because its the wheels that are also 275. I guess I will need to get spacers
eventually, anyway. There has to be a way to adjust the steering limiter however, and that would eliminate the need for spacers...

·
Registered
640 Posts
More than likely you have the same issue everyone else has who is running 275/55/17 on Cobra R's. At full lock you are rubbing on the sway bar. You will either have to install stering stops or just not turn so sharp!

Your wheels are 9" wide right?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More than likely you have the same issue everyone else has who is running 275/55/17 on Cobra R's. ?At full lock you are rubbing on the sway bar. ?You will either have to install stering stops or just not turn so sharp!

Your wheels are 9" wide right?

Yup, yes they are. I think the stock setup was like six inches. So I'm rubbing on the sway bar? Damn thats no good.
Looks like I'll need to get spacers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Before you go the spacer route, look into getting or fabricating some steering stops. You are gonna find that the amount of "stop" that you need won't be enough to justify the use of a wheel spacer. The front track is already wider than the rear, and spacers will only increase this phenomenon.

I know you were busting on Steeda,
but they do sell steering stops that work on the Explorer. Come to think of it, they might just be a Ford part if my memory is correct.

John V may have a solution as well since they run a lot of Cobra R's.

I didn't need any stops, so I can't give you any more advice than that.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks a lot for your suggestions and ideas. I'll look into every one!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right, but I'm always extra cautious whenever I have to turn the wheel to great lengths, and I really would rather fix the problem then "dodge" the problem so to speak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts