Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

It's been about 15 years since I had my last explorer, a 1993 Limited. I have been quietly looking for a 1st Gen to fill that gap in my life, and may have come across a good one. Trouble is, I have no idea what it's actually "worth," and I always try to balance 'emotional buying' with not losing a ton of money if I needed to sell down the road.

Anyway, this car is quite pristine. 1991 XLT with 144k miles, but it looks more like 14k miles. 1 owner, great exterior, great paint, immaculate interior, 100% factory, 4x4 XLT. Its even Red on Red, which is pretty sick looking.

Here's the thing......it doesn't run. It cranks just fine, and "ran a couple months ago," 馃檮 they claim that it might be injectors, I think more likely the fuel pump died. Either way, while I'm very comfortable doing my own fixes, it's still a huge risk.

They were originally asking $4k, I talked them down to $2,900....my question is, is that enough? KBB and NADA value these things quite low - in the low $2k's at best, and while it's in excellent cosmetic shape, I don't want to overpay and immediately be underwater on it. I'm assuming it'll need at least a couple hundred bucks to get it running, and then of course there's fluids and I'm sure a couple seals/hoses.

What are y'all's thought? What's a fair price for this one?

Registered
Not worth it. I just purchased a clean and clear 1992 4x4 with 38k original miles for $2500. It has been kept in an plane hangar for the last 20 years only being driven an average of 30miles a month. I'd say keep shopping.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Not worth it. I just purchased a clean and clear 1992 4x4 with 38k original miles for $2500. It has been kept in an plane hangar for the last 20 years only being driven an average of 30miles a month. I'd say keep shopping.
Based on what I learned in a local 1st Gen Explorer group over the last couple days, I think you're exactly right. It's a beautiful car, but cosmetics only go so far. I'm working to negotiate with the seller...I'll report back on the outcome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts