Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a snippet from the article:

Everything from the interior to the exterior of a Saleen XP8 are more than noticeably different from the stock Ford Explorer. In fact, in stock form, the Ford Explorer is pretty meagar in performance, handling, and other assorted luxuries. But, the Explorer of course was not designed and never was meant to be a "performance truck" or anything of the like. In fact, while the XP8 may don the Saleen brand, it is nothing close to the rest of the Saleen lineup. But what the XP8 does do is provide moderate sports-car handling and performance with a kick ass body trim to boot.

Debuting in 1997, the Saleen XP8 was offered in very limited quanitities, and continued production until 2000. There are only approximately 150 officially registered Saleen XP8's in existence - and only a couple Saleen XP6's, which I'll discuss later.

Take a look at the full three page article right here!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Good article rob, nice pics too, you have a few i haven't seen.

If you don't mind i'll correct or add a few things.

1. I've been told there are only 2 xp6's

2. You will see a handful of xp8's with different rims, since as tommy said some couldn't handle the weight and xp8 owners were given an allowance to buy new rims from where ever, and some didn't use good judgement.

3. In 97, i don't believe the carbon fiber interior accents were available nor was the hood or the recaros. (Just ask that whiner, Tommy)

4. The 13 inch alcons were a complete failure, any performance driving and hard braking would cause the caliper brackets to break since of the high weight. Owners were refunded the money, and stock brakes were reinstalled (hence mine), the brakes are still out there, there are those that didn't break and those that had custom shops fabricate brackets.

I have a breakdown of how many were sold each year, that i will post tommorrow.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I updated the info btw Joe, and made the appropriate corrections. Thanks for the input. I'll add those XP6 pics into the article tomorrow, I'm dead beat tired.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Great article Rob!!!!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts

In 97, i don't believe the carbon fiber interior accents were available nor was the hood or the recaros. (Just ask that whiner, Tommy)

:| yeah keep reminding me I don't have the recaros...thanks

I was able to get a hood from Saleen when they still had them and the only carbon fiber I have is on the steering wheel and mirrors.

how many did they make in 97, I was told just the proto that 98 was the first year of production.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good article Rob !!! 8)
Thanks Tommy. From the sounds of Joe if I pleased you then I pleased everyone

I think Joe is going to post sometime soon the breakdown of annual production.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts

In 97, i don't believe the carbon fiber interior accents were available nor was the hood or the recaros. (Just ask that whiner, Tommy)

:| yeah keep reminding me I don't have the recaros...thanks

I was able to get a hood from Saleen when they still had them and the only carbon fiber I have is on the steering wheel and mirrors.

how many did they make in 97, I was told just the proto that 98 was the first year of production.
Your right, i mess up with the 97 it is 98.

What carbon fiber is on your steeing wheel??? I don't have any there.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your right, i mess up with the 97 it is 98. ?

What carbon fiber is on your steeing wheel??? I don't have any there.

Ah you're killing me. Well I made the appropriate changes. Thanks for the tweaks though. I think we're set now :roll:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Your right, i mess up with the 97 it is 98.

What carbon fiber is on your steeing wheel??? I don't have any there.[/quote]

I'll show you on Sunday @ Englishtown 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts