Explorer Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I can do it, just about anybody can.

My new Gibson cat-back kit arrived Thursday, so I decided to tackle the job this morning. I have ten thumbs, no special tools, a couple of jack stands from Sears, and about half an inch of ice and mud on my garage floor from last week's snow storm. No cuts, no bruises, and I managed not to drop the big, heavy, stock muffler on my head - almost, but not quite.

The job took about four hours, most of which was getting the stock stuff off. The Gibson stuff is very high quality, everything fit perfectly, and the whole thing went off without a hitch. The new system sounds great - nice , low rumble, quiet on the interior, no buzzing in the cabin. Just about perfect.I'd recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wait till it breaks in more and the sound will be even better. This is definitely good to hear, and I'm sure the fact that you have the V8 is what really makes the difference. I've heard so-so reviews from people with a V6 setup, they complain it doesn't sound "good." :roll: Whatever.

Anyways, you're going to weld the piping and all right? Don't want carbon monoxide creeping into your car and it can happen!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
: I hadn't thought about welding it all up. I'd have to have a shop do that. Don't think I'd want to be the guy trying to get to the tailpipe/exit pipe joint, which is up over the axle. I had enough trouble just getting up there with a wrench. How about if I buy some used ventvisors cheap (Rob?), and leave the windows cracked all the time?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Well, if you haven't logged into the forums here for a long time, I'll assume the unfortunate news...and drive to your house and conveniently take the X
:smartass:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Some exhausts are made to never have to be welded. I do feel it's a good idea to have it welded, but if it's installed correctly it won't leak.

What size exhaust did you buy Jt?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the standard Gibson cat-back package, which is single 2 1/2" pipes, a 26" Gibson "Superflow" stainless muffler, and a 3" polished stainless tip. Nothing too outrageous, but it fits perfect, it sounds good, its plenty loud enough for me, I don't lose my spare tire or anything, and as the title of the thread indicates, its an easy install for mechanics of limited means. They design it and sell it as a bolt up kit, but welding probably wouldn't be a bad idea at all. The stock exhaust has two joints that aren't welded, so I don't know how worried Ford is about it, either.

It has a nice mellow sound to it, its not so loud that it bothers you from inside, yet loud enough that my wife rolls her eyes (so that means just right, I guess).

Last week's 5 inches of snow isn't gone yet, and there's another storm coming in tonight, so it might be a while before I can get an idea of what it does for performance. My K&N intake should arrive in the next couple days or so, so when I get that hooked up, I'll be pretty much set. Until the computer reprogrammer comes out, that is.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
That is awsome. Congrats on getting it installed yourself. I'm sure it does sound great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts