Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!
My quarter panel window was shattered yesterday. I already researched how to install it. From what I understand, I just remove inside panels to get to window and it simply bolts in. My question is, do I need anything to seal it?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Welcome! The introductions subforum is just a place to say hello and introduce yourself and your vehicle (which you did not mention). You should post help topics in the appropriate generational forum depending on your model year.

Yes, you need to remove all traces of the old sealer tape first, and use a solvent to remove any adhesive left behind. Maybe rubbing alcohol or gasoline. I'd avoid acetone in case it gets on anything it shouldn't.

Next if the replacement window doesn't come with sealer tape, you'll have to supply your own. The shop manual describes it as 8mm x 8mm (5/16 x 5/16", r 3/8 x 3/8 will work too) foam core butyl tape. The start/stop joint must be at the bottom of the window, between studs and overlap 24-50mm (1-2 inches). Press window in firmly to seat in sealing tape, and tighten retaining nuts to 9-17 in-lbs.

This is for a 2nd gen explorer. I don't know if you might need a different tape thickness or nut torque for whatever model year /body style you have.

It would be a good idea to include your vehicle model, year, engine and (n)WD config in your signature.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts