Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I must admit that this is my first Explorer, and I dove in head first getting a Limited, but I really love those heated seats!

The only compliant I have is the location of the on/off switch and the fact they don't turn off when you turn off the truck (like the defroster). When my wife rides in the truck, she always turns the passenger seat on, but never turns it off when she gets out.
Then I end up noticing it's still on while I'm on the highway headed into work! Is there any way to set these up to turn off when the truck is turned off, or at least the passenger side?
: Maybe it could be wired to the pressure switch under the seat, the same on that makes the seatbelt dinger ding if you don't fasten your seat belt, then it would only turn on if someone is sitting in it! :!:

Maybe I'm just over reacting...

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I don't think you can redo the switch. You could try asking your dealer and find out if they can do anything for you. Just tell your wife to make sure it's off when she gets out.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The ones in my '02 shut off when I turn the car off. Maybe they changed them on the '03s.

You're right. The location of the switches really sucks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's strange. Mine shut off with the car, too.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
It seems like they should shut off with the car, I had the heated seats in my Focus and they shut off with the car. I really miss not having them.

I know my Stepmom's Sport Trac has them and she had seat covers over the seats, I was driving it this past summer and my butt was getting so hot, I was sweating, I didnt know she had the heated seats but I guess when I was moving the power seat I must have hit the heat button
My Dad and Stepmom thought it was real
I agree that the location is not that good.

On the other hand the Focus had the switches on the center console and my friend would hit the button when I wasnt looking :roll:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
On the other hand the Focus had the switches on the center console and my friend would hit the button when I wasnt looking

What my friend does in my X to piss me off is hit the sunglasses or garage door opener thing in the cieling of my X, so randomly while im driving my sunglasses go flying at me, jerk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine shut off with with the car in my Mountaineer. In fact my drivers seat times out after about 10 minutes and shuts off by itself. I don't know if it's supposed to or not and I have no idea about the passenger side. My wife hasn't complained about it so I just assume it's working fine.

Anyone know if it's supposed to turn off on it's own after a certain ammount of time?

Chad

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Mine shut off with with the car in my Mountaineer. In fact my drivers seat times out after about 10 minutes and shuts off by itself. I don't know if it's supposed to or not and I have no idea about the passenger side. My wife hasn't complained about it so I just assume it's working fine.

Anyone know if it's supposed to turn off on it's own after a certain ammount of time?

Chad

It's supposed to. All X's have the batter saver feature that shuts off power to everything except the alarm system.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
On the other hand the Focus had the switches on the center console and my friend would hit the button when I wasnt looking

What my friend does in my X to piss me off is hit the sunglasses or garage door opener thing in the cieling of my X, so randomly while im driving my sunglasses go flying at me, jerk
I have that "homelink" thingie and I can record messages so I'm always putting something stupid in there when I know a friend will be riding with me like for my roommate, "Jeff Gordon wears pink undies and sniffs paint" or something dumb like that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's supposed to. All X's have the battery saver feature that shuts off power to everything except the alarm system.

I guess I should clarify what exactly I meant... The heated seats do turn off when I turn of the truck, but they come back on when I start the truck again, unlike the rear window defroster that stays off when I start the truck. What I'd like is for the heated seats to turn off when the truck is turned off, and stay off when it's turned back on!

I guess I could always just use it to heat my bagel on the way into work every morning!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine do not come on when I start the car if they were on when I turned it off. My wifes Outback does that though and her seats are always on because of it.

My question was are they supposed to turn off when you are still in the car with it running? I know it will shut off anything that I left on to save the battery when it's off.

Thanks!

Chad

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PA Mountie,

Mine don't shut off after a specific time period, they will stay on until I turn them off. My biggest concern is the effect it will have on the leather seats over time if they stay on even if no one is sitting in the seat.

It sure would be nice if the owner's manual went into a little more detail about how they are supposed to work! I have no idea if mine are working correctly or not, and it doesn't sound like you do either!

One would think they would operate the same in a Mercury as they do in a Ford, but I guess that's not always the case!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mine work just like the rear defroster - they shut off when I turn the truck off, and also, when you turn them on, they run for about 10 or 12 minutes and then shut down. I double checked that this morning - its 8 BELOW zero.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine work just like the rear defroster - they shut off when I turn the truck off, and also, when you turn them on, they run for about 10 or 12 minutes and then shut down. I double checked that this morning - its 8 BELOW zero.

Well, at least mine work like at least one other persons

If I think about it when I am at the dealer tomorrow, I will ask and see what they say...maybe I should ask a few different people there and see how many different answers I get

Chad

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 03 works just the same as yours 03_ LTD I also don't like the way they stay on until you hit the switch my o3 Escape Limited worked great the would turn off after the key was off and would not come on until you pushed the switch. I just wonder if it is that way do to the automatic temp control( even though they stay on when heat is of)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm a little late on this one but with my '02 they turn off after they heat up and just about the time my booty is warmed up
It doesn't matter whether it's the driver side or the passenger side, they both shut off automatically about 10 to 12 minutes. I don't know why they would have changed from the '02 to the '03 but I'd have it checked out.

And your right, the location does suck but my hand knows right where to go and it's almost automatic during the winter

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I really wish Ford would change to the design that they did on the Navigators and Aviators. I think they have more than one setting of heat. VW's setup is nice too. The controls are on the dash and 5 levels of heat.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
and it's almost automatic during the winter

You call the winter months in California a real "Winter"?!?!

I would think you would have your A/C on during the winter in California

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
[..]

You call the winter months in California a real "Winter"?!?!

I would think you would have your A/C on during the winter in California

My wife and I went to Miami once in February, and there was a huge "cold snap". The day we got there, it "only" got up to about 60 during the day, and when we arrived there at about 9:00 pm, all the ramp workers at the airport were wearing giant, overstuffed down coats. It was hilarious.

Can't believe they even sell heated seats in California

1 - 20 of 42 Posts