Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to know... with a vehicle that is so rare, do you ever feel guilty putting it in harms way of other drivers that could hit it, or causing wear to the xp8, etc.? I know for me I might feel a slight amount of guilt knowing if i would mess up the xp8, i cant just go to a dealership and buy another. Though Im not sure if I would enjoy it enough without driving it. How do you guys feel?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Every now and then i feel guilty, but i bought it to drive and look good doing so, and i do believe i'm successful at that. I don't plan on selling it so the miles don't matter much to me, also my mustang is too wild for the rain and ice cold pavement, so i can either drive the xp8 or $hit my pants even time i get in the car. When it gets a little warmer i'll go back to driving the mustang, as it gets 5mpg better than my x.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
My XP8 is for sunny summer days ONLY. I worry to much taking it anywhere.

Well, there's something to be said in a positive note about that, but I also ask...why did you spend so much money on your truck if you can't even enjoy it? Is being paranoid about something happening to it or getting damage to it, or hell even seeing rain actually enjoying the vehicle? I mean if I owned a XP8 I'm not sure who I'd be more like....Joe who drives it through anything, or you Tommy who garages it all winter. But I think I'd want to try to enjoy the vehicle more.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Rob I enjoy every second I am in my X ever if it is not as much as Joe. When I bought it I was debating to get an old muscle car to restore or buy mint or just get a new bad ass ride. I was looking for a Sunday or nice weather ride. At the time I also had a 1st gen X and loved it. I found the best of the worlds I loved when I came across the XP8. I am now married w/a kid and my X is my way of getting out of the house and just relaxing.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Rob I enjoy every second I am in my X ever if it is not as much as Joe. When I bought it I was debating to get an old muscle car to restore or buy mint or just get a new bad ass ride. I was looking for a Sunday or nice weather ride. At the time I also had a 1st gen X and loved it. I found the best of the worlds I loved when I came across the XP8. I am now married w/a kid and my X is my way of getting out of the house and just relaxing.
Great outlook then of owning the XP8. That's cool that its your "escape"...

·
Registered
77 Posts
It does bother me that IF something happened, how hard it would be to get fixed... I would just hope it wasn't my fault.. :) Other then that, I love driving it and getting a lot of questions asked.

The nice thing is that I have the XP8 for everyday driving, and the S-281SC for weekend driving. The SSC is a trailer queen just for the fact that it has 780 miles on it and is the only one like it. I just hate seeing the 1/10's of miles being added even driving it on and off the trailer.
I didn't even show it last year but I hope to make up for it this year.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
This may be the wrong thing to say, but if mine was totalled i stand to make a substanial amount of money.

Also, a custom body shop would more than likely be able to put our body parts back together. It may take a while, but it would get done.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Also, a custom body shop would more than likely be able to put our body parts back together. It may take a while, but it would get done.

Assuming the damage wasn't too big.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, it can be hard to drive the car knowing the it will wear.

like this winter I had to drive the car to Poland, and twice to Austria and another time to Frankfurt.

To be honest that's to many miles( 4Kmls) on salted roads I was lucky enough that I didn't have to use my snowchains, I had traction enough with the wintertires.

bTW the car handles very well on the Autobahn, it's very stable at all speeds even up to 110 mph ( topspeed)

But when you get home and you see all that salt on the car, and when you wash the car you even discover a little damage on the rear bumper, it makes you feel sick.

The rear bumper must have been damaged in Frankfurt while parked in garage from the Hotel or at the fair, I hate it when people do such things without leaving a note.

so to answer the question, the feeling is mixed, you want to show and drive the car but not the wear and mileage.

Hennie

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I hate it when people do such things without leaving a note. ?

Wow is it actually commonplace over there to admit to being wrong and leaving contact info so they can fix it for you? This is a completely foreign concept in America! Hit & Run is how it goes...

Anyway, at least the damage (from what it sounds like) is real minimal. Thats nothing a body shop can't fix. Imagine if you got rear ended and it was so bad that the rear bumper shattered or basically was damaged to the point of beyond fixable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rob, the latest trend( for the last 5 yrs) is to Hit & Run as well, so nothing new, but still, I hate it!

well, the damage is not that bad but the older cracks that I had repaired last year opened up again.

I think I will just have repaired again and save my good bumpers for the time when the car retires.

Hennie

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't imagine being wealthy enough to buy cars/trucks to collect and not drive...lol. I buy my vehicles to drive, the XP8 no exception. It is AWD which is perfect for the bad weather days. Ya, sure, if it gets hit I am hurting, but what can you do? My garage could burn down for that matter. I have a 1968 California Special Mustang that I drive as much as I can, and my wife drives her 281 back and forth to work. To me, and only my opinion, it matters more to me to see one drive thier vehicles and maintain it like new, than have a trailer queen that isn't driven. But I do respect the folks that don't drive them......personal priorities me guesses.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I can't imagine being wealthy enough to buy cars/trucks to collect and not drive...lol. ?

:word:

To me, and only my opinion, it matters more to me to see one drive thier vehicles and maintain it like new, than have a trailer queen that isn't driven. But I do respect the folks that don't drive them......personal priorities me guesses.

I agree 100%! And like you said, I still have respect for those who keep the miles off and more or less "stored"

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To me, and only my opinion, it matters more to me to see one drive thier vehicles and maintain it like new, than have a trailer queen that isn't driven. ?But I do respect the folks that don't drive them......personal priorities me guesses.
Yep, even though I think I would feel some what different than you, I really wish I looked at it your way.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Well, i'm certainly not the poster boy for keeping the x in "perfect condition" comestically. For the most part i do my best, which is probably not as good as some of the other guys efforts, but i drive it everyday rather aggressively, and i have alot going on lately. The poor weather doesn't help either. So i do what i can.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I drive all my cars untill they are about 10 yrs old and after that I store them and drive them on a sunday or to a meeting.

but all cars are driven daily and we are driving them on the limit if we can.

all respect to the trailer queens but that ain't my kind of driving a car. I own them to use and show them as well

Hennie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts