Explorer Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 limited 5.0. I just installed a Mac cold air intake kitand wow what a difference. I am looking to add a cat back exhaust for a little more power but I would still like to keep my ride nice and quiet inside. Maybe some of you guys can help. I have looked at the flowmaster, mac and gibson and I can't decide (gibson claims only 2-4db in the vehicle. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
543 Posts
When I got my exhaust the guy told me that Flowmaster would have the most noise inside the vehicle. I got borla and it has a good amount of noise in the car but I do have my cats off and duals.

·
Registered
384 Posts
the dynomax setup I bought for my V-6 X from Explorer Express does well nice and quiet up until I hit about 80 I don't notice any exhaust noise at all the intake on the other hand well I hear that thing sucking air.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I think anything you add is going to make noise inside, the real issue IMO is whether it's a good noise or bad noise.

I think Explorer Express has a 3in Catback kit, thats the way i would go. 2.5 inch single is not worth the trouble, it's still way too small, considering a mustang 5.0 just barely breaths well enough with a dual 2.5 inch setup.

Either go 2.5 dual, or 3 in single, anything else and you are wasting your money. Explorers have large cabins, and the muffler is around the front of the rear wheel, so whatever you add is going to make quite a bit of sound inside.

Mine is a single flowmaster 2 in 1 out muffler, connected to a 3in catback, i love the way it sounds, but it's also done to sound like a mustang with flowmasters, which is as you know very loud.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts

Problem with that, is that you have the six, 5.0's are just begging to be loud. Mines fairly loud, i'm used to it, but i also like to hear it, maybe rob will chime in and describe my exhaust, i'm a little biast towards it since i've been listening to it for quite a while.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
My friend, 'Explorer_X' cut off two the last two cats and put on a magnaflow with duals, and it is incredibly loud. I tried to convince him not to cut them off, but it was his explorer. :roll:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Cat removal will make anything loud. Personally i like the idea of removing the cats, especially on a 5.0, but i already own one vehicle that can't be started after 10pm without waking the whole neighborhood, that's the only thing that keeps me from doing it to my x.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We started it for about 5 seconds without cats or muffler, and it was LOUD. I had to shut it off quick because the lady next door is very sick and doesn't have long to live. I like the loud sound, but now I can't hear my V6 when i'm near his V8.

V8

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have a 00 mustang Gt with edlebrock catback it sounds good, but I would like to keep my explorer quiet maybe I'll try the gibson system. I'm not trying to make my x a mustang. I'm just looking for a small power increase and a little better mileage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We started it for about 5 seconds without cats or muffler, and it was LOUD. I had to shut it off quick because the lady next door is very sick and doesn't have long to live. I like the loud sound, but now I can't hear my V6 when i'm near his V8.

V8

99SportX

:stupid:

GO WITH MAGNAFLOW!!!

I love my new sound. Also, the power increace was amazing!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts