Explorer Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 99 Explorer Sport. I bought it brand new and I loved the SUV until the last year. Everthing seems to be going wrong with it.

I had the front differential rebuilt and now when ever I switch directions moving forward to backward or vice versa and I give it a little gas, a snapping sound comes from the under carriage that sounds like gears not lining up or something. If I let if roll for a bit after change directions, before I gas it, there is no snappping sound sound. The snapping sound also occurs sometimes when I gas it and the front wheels kick in from lost of traction on snow or ice when I am not in 4 wheel drive. I think it does it in 4 wheel drive as well anyway.

Also there is some type of vibration that I can feel in the floor board when I go over minutely rough icy roads, that feels like a rod vibrating on the under carriage.

There is also a humming sound that I can hear at higher speeds and the tone of this sound drops as coast to a stop, its really annoying. My Mechanic said that it is just extra air from my Air Raid Intake, but I am parranoid that it has something to do with my drive train or front diffrential that I had rebuilt.

The last problem I have has to do with my X starting. I have a DEI command start and it sometimes won't start. It is progammed to crank for 10 sec at a time for about a min and then cancel if it doesn't start. When this happens I can't even start the SUV with the key. Sometimes if I have the gas pinned it will start but as soon as I let off the accelerator it stalls. Also sometimes when I have had the SUV running normally and then stop for a breif period to get gas or something, I have a hell of time starting it again because it will crank but won't catch and start.

I love the truck except it is giving a ton of problems. Please help me out.

I run 87 octane and Redline Fluids.

Help me out please.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Occasionally I have had the same starting issue. I can start it and if I shut it off right away for some reason, I have to wait a minute or 2 before retrying it or it will do the same, just sit and crank. I also have a remote-start and if I step on the brake before I turn the key, that issue happens almost every time. Why, I have no clue
:

·
Registered
384 Posts
For the snapping I almost want to say your u-joints but that is probably wrong. I have about a 1 second window when shifting into gear before the transmission kicks in but I have a 175k miles on mine so I figure the tranny will just fall out one day.

As for the remote start device well that doesn't sound healthy. I had a starting problem similar to yours a while back and it was my ECT sensor not giving the right reading and as long as I gave it a lot of gas it would start up and run crappy like for a minute even stall out. Anyone you know with an OBD II test set that would see what sensor is going bad? Don't get discouraged if this doesn't work it's all about trouble shooting!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only have 83 000 km, I don't know what that is in miles. So it is barely broken in.

I read a post somewhere on here about my Mass Airflow sensor being dirty or possibly my IAC (is that the Idle Air Control).

What is an OBD II test?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Diagnostic test kit for the computer in your X, someone posted a pic of an IAC on here before I am at work and it is dark before I get home or I would post one for you. If you know what the ECT is, it should be right under your throttle body on the intake manifold if I am not mistaken been a while since I looked at mine. To see if it is that you can unplug it and if your X starts up fine but with a check engine light it may be that. As for the MAF and the IAC you can clean the MAF sensor with carb cleaner and qtips and let it dry before re-installing it is located in the air box on your X. The IAC is on the driver's side and it is on the intake in an aluminum color looks like it has a twist knob on it, takes about 5 minutes to take off and clean out. Those are all things you can try, and your mileage is in clicks? Where are you at out of curiousity there are a few of us overseas here I am in Belgium and I think Mountaineer is over here in one of these European countries too. The soonest I will be able to get pics is this weekend if none of that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts