Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone else has had an issue where their rear brake pads are wearing out before their front pads. I have 68k miles on my 2017 Explorer and changed the rear brake pads last year.

For about the last week when I initially pull out of the garage I hear a scraping noise but then never hear it again the rest of the day. Not sure what that is but I thought I’d check my front brake pads this morning and their is STILL plenty left.

Any help would be much appreciated. I’ve never owned a vehicle where the rear brakes wear faster than the front. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes.
I replaced all the brakes in 2018 with 45,000 miles.
Just was told my rear brakes were shot <at 85k miles> but my fronts were still fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have a definitive answer for you, but not all pads are equal. Those with soft friction material wear out quickly, and make a lot of that red dust. Pads for instance from NAPA with a lifetime warranty will last forever, but not brake as well. To answer your question better you would need to replace both front and rear with the same type of pad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Change the calipers, they are known to stick and cause the pads to wear prematurely.

The other issue that I’ve seen is rotor runout due to either a warped rotor or rust on the hub. Whenever you are replacing pads I recommend replacing the rotors at the same time. Ensure you clean the mating surfaces between the rotor and hub well. I put a dial indicator on the rotor after installation and spin it to confirm it’s sitting flat. Max runout spec is 0.002 inch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts