Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got a recall notice from Ford on my Speed Control Deactivation Switch. It says it my effect models from 1992 to 2004 models equipped with Cruise Control. So Ford finally decided to recall the switches in the Explorers that have been causing fires in the Expeditions and F-150's. If you haven't received a notice call your local dealer or go to this Site and put in your VIN number and it should show recall "05S28 PERFORM PRIOR TO VEHICLE DELIVERY: SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION." I had already replaced mine but I am going to get a refund from Ford when I return with the receipt.

Sorry if this is a repost but I hope this will help some issues with the ABS light like I was having before I replaced the switch.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Got mine today as well. Going to stop by the dealer tomorrow to see if they can do it on the spot. I can't imagine it taking very long to do.

Going to sticky this as well. Good info, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
probably gonna go tomorrow or friday for the switch

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I'll have this done whenever I can, realistically it may be a couple months...too hard to get it to a dealer while I'm away at school.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I'm thinking they'll do it without an appointment. Atleast I'm going to make a big deal about and possibly catch the truck on fire the day after if they "can't do it".

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am still patiently awaiting two of them to arrive on our doorstep. One for my dads mounty, and one for my X. As of now, both our switches are disconnected.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I ordered one switch from ford last year.

My shop did it quick, I don't you even need to bleed the brakes afterwards.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Is this the problem where you have the cruise control set and you hit the breaks and it doesn't shut off?

Yeah I definately have that problem. It might be mildly dangerous.

·
Registered
424 Posts
i already had this done last yr or the yr before. or is this the same thing im thinking of. in any case, if its what i think it is, they just put a fuse in at the brake booster. its pretty bad, i had to redo it so i didnt have 6 feet of wire hanging everywhere.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Is this the problem where you have the cruise control set and you hit the breaks and it doesn't shut off?

Yeah I definately have that problem. It might be mildly dangerous.

No, this is the one where the switch shorts out and causes the brake fluid to catch on fire. They may be related though. I'd leave yours alone and up the insurance to full coverage and pray.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Just called the local dealer, the parts are on backorder right now. And I still need an appointment. I'm going to call the one closest to school whenever I move in next week and see if they have them. Until then I'm going to unplug the sensor.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer I talked to today said its just the wiring with the circuit breaker. I don't really understand how the circuit breaker is going to fix the problem when the switches are still prone to leaking. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the circuit breaker they install would happen to trip then it disables your cruise and abs. When I was having problems with the switch and disconnected it my abs light came on and my cruise didn't work. If this is the cause I am very unhappy with Fords' solution to an on going problem. I think I am going to call Ford on monday and "maybe" get some answers. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
They just install a fuse inline with the brake switch circuit. If there is a short, the fuse blows and there will be no fire. I have the brake switch unplugged on the master cylinder of both my explorer and my dads mounty and I have no ABS light. If you get one, then something else must be wrong. If the fuse ends up blowing, then you will lose cruise control.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
wonder if i'll get a notice, at work so i can't check my vin but i've been running for about a year now with mine unplugged, it just doesn't look healthy and i was making sure she didnt' ketch on fire...lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Got my notice last week. Not sure when I'll take it in. Just have to remember to disconnect the sensor when I get home, since I'm not driving it much anymore.

Would be nice if Ford would fix the problem with a redesigned switch instead of their typical band-aid BS.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would be nice if Ford would fix the problem with a redesigned switch instead of their typical band-aid BS.

My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, the recall repair sucks, but at least they get it done in about 20 minutes. I just had it done today and it didn't take any longer than that.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wow that is an incredibly shitty response to a manufacturing defect...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts