Explorer Talk banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Still waiting on my to burst into flames and take most of the campus down with it.

Hahahhaha. You'd definitely get your S40 after that.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
After waiting what I thought was a suffcient time, I gave the local(to where I got to school) Ford dealer a call. Parts are now on back order. They still have you come in though for a 5 minute procedure.

The procedure consists of disconnecting the switch, wrapping some electrical tape around the connector. You also get a piece of paper stating this was done. I went and had them do it just for documentation purposes. They will also mail a letter stating they have recieved the parts.

So for those that are unable to get the parts, I'd call and have this done just so you have the paperwork to cover you butt.

Description on my Workorder states "Perform Recall 05S28 / Speed Control Deactivation Switch".

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
After waiting what I thought was a suffcient time, I gave the local(to where I got to school) Ford dealer a call. Parts are now on back order. They still have you come in though for a 5 minute procedure.

The procedure consists of disconnecting the switch, wrapping some electrical tape around the connector. You also get a piece of paper stating this was done. I went and had them do it just for documentation purposes. They will also mail a letter stating they have recieved the parts.

So for those that are unable to get the parts, I'd call and have this done just so you have the paperwork to cover you butt.

Description on my Workorder states "Perform Recall 05S28 / Speed Control Deactivation Switch".

So does that mean if you have the Speed Control on and you hit the brakes that it is still engaged?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Speed Control doesn't work at all. I'm going to call Ford tomorrow and complain. This is a very poor way to cover up(not even solve) a potentially dangerous problem.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well duh it doesn't work. lol You kind of need that switch to use the cruise control safely. The system requires that switch. Without it, it is disabled for safety reasons. The "fix" that they performed is the fastest, safest and easiest way to temporarily cure the dangers of the malfunctioning switch.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow that sucks. I couldn't live without it. Also, knowing that the buttons on the steering wheel don't work would drive me crazy. I'd just leave it in.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yeah, but it is better than having your truck start on fire. I was without cruise control after the eatc swap until I put the V8 in because of wiring issues. I can live without it. lol It is nice on long trips though, but I don't do many of those.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Eric, you could always buy a new pressure switch for the cruse control an you should not have the problem. They become a problem when the pressure switch becomes old and starts deteriorating from the brake fluid. Supposely the switches made from a specific factory had the defect. So i wouldn't be sure if you would just buy a new one with the same defect, I haven't read up about this in a while but from what i recall thats how a lot of people on ef were going about the problem. But once again, its not fused so thats still risky.

You could also just buy the recall part once all this madness is over along with a new pressure switch, which aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Wow that sucks. I couldn't live without it. Also, knowing that the buttons on the steering wheel don't work would drive me crazy. I'd just leave it in.

I know. And I'm doing the 4 hour trip to Philadelphia this weekend. This should be fun.

I'm not concerned about a fire and loosing the vehicle. I just wouldn't want it happening in our garage.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Todd, Ford isn't replacing the switches, they did for the ones which were failing, why not buy a new switch or install your own fuse?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I will have them do mine also, whenever I feel like calling them up. Just for the principle of it, so they will stop bothering me with mail. After that, if the harness is ugly, I may make the necessary modifications to clean it up, and then replace the switch also. Wouldn't hurt.

I still need them to perform the recall for the drivers side seat bolt, lol. I will do both of these in one shot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally work for a ford dealer and have never seen an incident related to the deactivation switches leaking. If we see it leaking we replace the switch as well. Its simply a way to prevent it from happening if it were to!! And this is my first post cause I just bought the explorer. looks like a good place to get some information.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Welcome, and I would guess that you know then that the red topped switches of the late 90's were the only faulty switches? Regards,

21 - 40 of 61 Posts