Explorer Talk banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome, and I would guess that you know then that the red topped switches of the late 90's were the only faulty switches? Regards,

I guess I dont understand what your saying. Ford is replacing switches much earlier than late 90s. I have seen a few leaky switches, yet none that have started

vehicles on fire. Is that what your getting at?

·
Registered
86 Posts
After waiting what I thought was a suffcient time, I gave the local(to where I got to school) Ford dealer a call. Parts are now on back order. They still have you come in though for a 5 minute procedure.

The procedure consists of disconnecting the switch, wrapping some electrical tape around the connector. You also get a piece of paper stating this was done. I went and had them do it just for documentation purposes. They will also mail a letter stating they have recieved the parts.

So for those that are unable to get the parts, I'd call and have this done just so you have the paperwork to cover you butt.

Description on my Workorder states "Perform Recall 05S28 / Speed Control Deactivation Switch".

They didn't even do that to my mom's, they just unplugged it and left it open. I got one of the last fuses around on mine. When she got back I just plugged it back in. She goes on too many long trips for her to live without cruise control (her words, not mine). I usually drive so fast that I end up on people's asses in traffic and have to turn it off until it opens up, so it's not really useful to me.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I think I may give them a call tomorrow to see what the deal is. Maybe cause a little stink.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I guess I dont understand what your saying. Ford is replacing switches much earlier than late 90s. I have seen a few leaky switches, yet none that have started

vehicles on fire. Is that what your getting at?
The first recall covered all of the actual possible faulty switches. All of the following recalls were to install the fuse harnesses, to vehicles with switches from different manufacturers/batches. Just the one group of switches are/were suspect. I suspect everything else since the first recall is about avoiding lawsuits which would be affected by the first recall. By association any case in court would reference the first recall, and conclude that the danger exists in all switches. It's about liability and avoiding poor jury decisions. I do not discount the actual tragic occurrences which have occurred, but people make assumptions based on rumors and fear. Ford is doing business.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I think I may give them a call tomorrow to see what the deal is. Maybe cause a little stink.

please do not fart, that only effects your roomate (me!!)

just buy the dang switch then and plug it back in!!!

Its not that expensive or just wait till it ketches on fire and you get a new truck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Didn't mean to be sour. I work at a dealer, I would imagine if we have parts everyone does. Parts for this recall should not be a problem in the future.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
My comment wasn't directed towards you. Just this whole situation. They should have found a new supplier for the parts if one isn't able to pull through. I've been running my cruise since January, I can't be bothered to disconnect it again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmmm, just got another reminder for this. Dealer has more recall parts in stock. Have the time off next week, might as well get it done...finally.

·
stop your whining
1,725 Posts
Hmmm, just got another reminder for this. Dealer has more recall parts in stock. Have the time off next week, might as well get it done...finally.

All I did was make an appointment with a local stealership and they make sure the part was there. They did it while I waited. Really is a quick and easy service. Sure, it can be done yourself, but why bother if you don't have to?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Remove the switch/sensor from the master cylinder, then the brake fluid cannot reach the current in those wires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Purchasing used Explorers, and other Ford Products, used, from individuals, on Craigs List, and as seen on roadsides, the very first check we make is to look up the VIN to see what we really are getting, and the next thing is investigating history, followed by a check of recalls. I found that some recalls were ignored by previous owners, even thought the mandatory recalls are FREE to consumers! For your personal safety, the safety of your family, friends, and all the other folks on the roads, please check all recalls and get them done!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I got a recall notice from Ford on my Speed Control Deactivation Switch. It says it my effect models from 1992 to 2004 models equipped with Cruise Control. So Ford finally decided to recall the switches in the Explorers that have been causing fires in the Expeditions and F-150's. If you haven't received a notice call your local dealer or go to this Site and put in your VIN number and it should show recall "05S28 PERFORM PRIOR TO VEHICLE DELIVERY: SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION." I had already replaced mine but I am going to get a refund from Ford when I return with the receipt.

Sorry if this is a repost but I hope this will help some issues with the ABS light like I was having before I replaced the switch.
I bought mine girl about 8 months ago from a private seller and looked up the VIN and found that my girl still needs her recall handled. I hope that it isn't something that takes long and I can find a polite dealer to handle it for me

41 - 59 of 59 Posts