Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let you all know that my X-Spec Suspension kit has arrived. Initial reactions - I'll tell you this, the Explorer Express Sway Bar is HEAVY and THICK. The Saleen XP8 bar give or take a quarter size smaller, and notably lighter.

I'm going to have my tires balanced, aligned, and this entire kit will be installed tomorrow! I'll be sure to let you all know my first reactions to that, and of course I'll have a full product review on the way!

·
Registered
566 Posts
That sounds awesome man, your movin right along with your project

I wish I had the funds to do the same. Cant wait to see the result.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm well I hit a few bumps in the road. I went to local shops even chain places and either they are closed or they won't install it. I've been told that its "too advanced" for them to do.

I'm going to try calling the local Ford dealer after Christmas. They should be able to do it, after all it IS an Explorer and they'll know exactly what they're working with.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Too advanced? Hmm.... well then. They probably don't want to deal with aftermarket things.

I think you can handle the install yourself, as long as you have the tools. decent sized socket set jack/jackstands, PBbuster, and some elbow grease. Probably takes 2-3hrs(quick end) , 5 hrs (going slow), (I'm assuming shocks/cams/swaybar?).

edit:

Oh yeah the spacers too, probably another 1-2 hrs for that.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think I could do it myself, but I'd rather not. I have all the tools in the world I could ever need, thanks to the firehouse. What I might do is install the new swaybar, lowering blocks and then just have them replace the shocks. That is one idea, but I'm not sure. I'm going to call the Ford dealer and ask them if they will install it for me after Christmas.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shocks are really that easy? Is it just a matter of lifting the rear/front, loosening bolts and replacing them, tightening the bolts again and proceed onto the next one?

If it really is that easy then I will just do it myself...the entire kit.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Yup, that simple. Only trouble is getting to the top bolts of the rear shocks. It's a little cramp, but that's all, everything else is straight foward. Three Bolts per shock basically.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow that is a very good writeup. I will definitely make use of that. When he mentions about the front area being "weak" and that it might snap, that makes me nervous as hell :surprised: but I'm sure some common sense should avoid any catastrophe. I'm going to lift up the rear merely for more space. I'm also just going to remove the spare as I was planning on that anyways. Oh, and the hitch!

EDIT: Just wanted to say that I am definitely going to do this myself I just talked to my dad about it, and even he said its nothing hard or involved its just a matter of being careful and having the right tools (which I do @ the fire station).

I'll be sure to bring my digital camera and write up my own how to's for changing shocks, installing lowering blocks, sway bars etc.

G

·
a word of advice....air tools are sweet for the installation of new shocks, the back shocks bottom shackels were a *censored* for me so i just whipped out the 1/2in air gun and let it go to town on the bults and they came off with out hardly and work...like they say if it doesn't work get a bigger hammer....
....have fun man its a easy job

·
Registered
107 Posts
yeah, shocks are easy. just replaced my fronts from blown out trailmasters to ias's. do one corner at a time up front. i remember loosening/tightening the top in the rear to be a little tricky getting the wrench and hands upinthere. its fun to do too!, at least for me its like a shot in the arm w/ every new part.

best of luck rob.

G

·
Good to hear yout got it. Are you still running the stock mono leafs in the back? If so the lowering blocks are not required. The spacers underneath the spring itself can be relocated to the top of the spring to give the required amount of lowering. Shocks are simple. Did it w/o air tools, I find it simpler. Sway bar should be a piece of cake but I have no idea about the cams. I'd take it to an alignment shop for those.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The spacers underneath the spring itself can be relocated to the top of the spring to give the required amount of lowering. ?
How much drop you do achieve by doing it this way?

G

·
yea that sounds right...i've heard of people doing this alot, i'm gessing its much easier and more inexpensive....have fun rob...

Xplorer0395 - Mr. Anti-air tools....
....lol...just kidding man

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today was a really crazy day...but I got the new rear shocks and swaybar installed completely, as well as moving the spacers on the monoleaf to get the drop. Tomorrow I finish it all up by installing the new front shocks and then getting an alignment right after New Year's. The rear drivers side shock was a
!!! I can't stress that enough. Luckily one of the guys in the fire department was there that was cool and is a mechanic, and I'll be damned he had the old shock removed and the new one installed within 15 minutes tops.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Go Rob! Your over half way there. It should feel a lot better already. By this time next week, you will be loving life! Good luck on the front end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts