Explorer Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Explorer 2DR Sport Utility with over 200,000 miles, original engine.

Tin the past, I have just taken it in to the local "place" for an oil change. However, I have decided that I would like to do the next one or two myself.

Oil filter is not an issue but the oil, as recommend in a manual I have for the Explorer says use 5W-30 or 10W-30 and recommends against synthetic oil. So, I just dropped by Wal-Mart to pick up the oil filter and the only oil I saw there was either full synthetic or partial.

What oil should I be using. The Explorer is not driven daily, more like once a week for 20 - 30 or so miles. Maybe a couple of 100 mile plus trips a year.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recommends against synthetic oil? Maybe it wasn't really good quality back then, but so many years later, can't think of one reason not to use it! I'd go ahead and use 5W30. BTW, do get your coolant changed at least once a year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Denny333. I will go with the 5W30 synthetic. As for the coolant, I think it has been changed about two years ago but before that,,,, I have no memory of having it done.

So, will put that on my list of things to do as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Back in the day when mobile one first came out it was said not to use it in an engine that has been using dinosaur oil because it would cause leaks due to the cleaning affect of synthetic oil on all the old oil crud that was keeping the engine sealed. I remember ignoring the warning and using it in a 1977 Cadillac Seville and before long both valve covers and timing cover started to leak. I hear now that that's no longer true with synthetic oil but due to "my" experience I will not use synthetic oil in my 95 explorer. I too have over 200,000 miles and I'm using straight 30 weight brand name oil. If or when I do a complete overhaul I would definitely start using synthetic oil. I also have a 1985 Chevrolet Sprint (3 cylinder) and when I completely rebuilt the motor I started using mobile one, this engine has valves that need adjusting periodically and I've noticed that the valve train hardly ever needs adjusting and its sooooo clean! Hopefully you won't have the same problem I did back then, but if you start noticing random leaks you know why. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts