Explorer Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can buy an armrest for a 98 X? The reason why I ask is that the arm rest is broke underneath and when you lay your arm on it it doesnt hold your arm up, it just droops down and nimble.

I tried putting in new screws but that didnt last long, I know its cracked under where the screws are held.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Try eBay? I see Explorer armrests on there quite frequently.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
i need to re-upholster mine, it tore from me putting my elbo there so long and has slowly gotten bigger and bigger

·
Registered
107 Posts
is it just that the plastic underbelly is cracked? i just fixed mine w/ contact cement and washers/metal plates w/ the stock screws holding it together and it feels good as new. i figured i'd buy a new one if it cracked again. cost me nothing.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Didn't Ford do a recall on some of the armrests in Explorers and Rangers? If no one remembers that, I'll have to look it up, but it seems like they did and replaced it with another armrest.

I remember my 89 broke, and I filled it up with fiberglass, then did the outside with JB Weld. Smoothed it out and repainted it - it never came loose again.

xplorerdude - is yours the full console with the lid on the center? If so, it is very easy to recover them. Mine cracked a few years ago, and I stopped by an upholstery shop and bought a piece of scrap vinyl from them for $5.00. Went home and took it apart and put the new vinyl on. The $5.00 and a can of 3M upholstery spray glue - and I was done in about 30 minutes after some simple stapling...

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I've never heard of a recall on the armrests. I'm not saying that doesn't mean it doesn't exist but it just seems unlikely and weird to have a recall on the armrest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts