Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paint bumper to match!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm wondering which look you guys prefer more.....a rollpan on an Explorer, or just a monotone painted truck with the bumper painted to match?

Examples:

Painted to match (TAS):

OR

Rollpan (Hartman):

I just can't seem to make up my mind what is better, etc. and I need some serious input!! Tell me which one you choose and why!

As you guys know I'm giving my exterior a major overhaul among other things and I figure since I am at the point where I could either just paint the rear bumper or get a rollpan, I should at least consider it.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Bumper painted to match.

If you use a roll pan, it shortens the rear of the truck too much, and from the side view there's not enough truck behind the rear tire, and IMO the truck looks lop-sided.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I hear you joe. I mean I know this is the point of the rollpan, but it just seems like all the sudden a giant knife just chopped the rear off? If that makes sense?
:) Plus there's all that crap with shortening your frame rails and of course putting up with New Jersey state inspection (nazis for sure).

But maybe Black Magic can add some light to that.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I like the painted bumper. Rollpans are very gross IMO. I can't stand the look of just the flat rear. Very, very ugly.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the painted bumper. Rollpans are very gross IMO. I can't stand the look of just the flat rear. Very, very ugly.
No mercy on that one!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I think it also depends on the color of the truck, hartman's for example looks nice, but I dont't think it would look good on a light colored truck. I say go with the pan rob.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
No mercy on that one!

Yep. I hate any and all rollpans.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I agree with 2000xp8 to an extent on the all the models accept the O1+ Sports. There is no bumper in the front and looks lopsided already, To the rear. I all depends on the entire look of the truck. You have to be able to back up the rollpan. You can't just stick one on any stock looking Explorer. But if you have a very customized Explorer the it is just that much more custom than everyone elses. That is my two cents.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very interesting point with the 01 Sports. There really isn't a front bumper on the new Sports. It's definitely "tucked in" aesthetically. On mine especially with a two tone it's definitely noticeable. Even monotone it still "sticks out" in a way even though it doesn't really.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:word:

Never thought of it that way. But similarly the same could be said for my Sport:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I like the bumper better. The other way makes the profile view look like one of those isuzu amigos. Just picture it, cut the back window out and make it a ragtop, and you are an isuzu owner.

The roll pan is a tough call, i've seen it look good, and i've seen it look bad.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The roll pan is a tough call, i've seen it look good, and i've seen it look bad.

Which is exactly why I'm leary over it. Also because I was rear ended ONCE and I don't feel like having to worry about it if I ever get a rollpan. It's partly the safety/framerails issue, another part NJ inspection, and most importantly aesthetics. Especially on a Sport because we're smaller to begin with then regular 4 doors. IMO it's easier to pull it off on a 4 door then a 2 door.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I'm leaning towards.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The safe thing?!? You cut off a small lenght of L shaped frame horn. It is not even part of the box framing. As far as the bumper it is only good for like 10 mph parking lot tests. your actual frame does all the work. If you are rear ended you that hard your bumper is just going to fold under the bend up your rear cargo area anyway. Been there was done to like that.

As far as insurance... One of the guys working with me at the boat shop is an insurance adjuster and he said that the installation of the rollpan would do absolutely nothing. It would not cause you to be liable for someone running into your rearend.

As far as inspection... It is not going to cause you to fail. If you roll in with nothing on the rear you would get a hard time. There are many, many other vehicles out there with aftermarket rollpans that do not have any problems. And not just pickup's Expedition's, Blazer's, Esclade's, Ect...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is true. Its just more or less the aesthetics. If I were to get a rollpan once I would do that and even if I didnt like it, I wouldnt want to go through the trouble to switch back. I dont know, I guess I just need to give it more thought.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts