Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the search funtion, but I'm not finding the topic that I remember reading.

I'm looking for the "goo" from Home Depot to seal up the screws after removal.

I'm also planning on putting on the Suburban roof rails to cover up the screws.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
very easy to remove. pop off the end caps of each roof rail, take the screws out, slide the rails foward, and remove. i just used clear silicone around the screws and put them back in the holes.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Here are some pics, I don't know if you were asking how to remove the rack of just about what to use to seal the holes but here are some pics anyway

[attachment=10472:house_035.jpg] [attachment=10473:house_034.jpg]

[attachment=10474:house_039.jpg] [attachment=10475:house_037.jpg]

[attachment=10476:house_040.jpg] [attachment=10477:house_042.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I may just put the screws back and not worry about the Suburban roof rails. My Mountaineer's black.

Thanks for the pics Brad. You always go above and beyond in the "help" department.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ok so how in the heck did you guys take that first piece off that covers the screws?? Does it just pop off, cuz i tried but didnt want to break it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Great. So does anyone know exactly what tools i need for this task??

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Just pull on the back of the caps and kind of wiggle them and they will pop off, the center ones are the hardest to get off, the cover kind of wraps around the back edges but it will come off if you pull hard enough.

The only tools you will need is a torx bit and wratchet...I cant remember what size the bolt is.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
What about the star shaped screws??

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
What about the star shaped screws??

those are torx bolts, you just need the correct size "torx" bit to fit.

I took mine off for a day but didn't care for the look on mine for some reason. I got some of those license plate caps from Wal Mart and put them over the screws, I got them in chrome but I didn't like how they looked, It might not look too bad on a dark color if you got the black ones

[attachment=10492:pics_517_1030.jpg]

I don't have any better pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sweet, this might be something i can do tomorrow then.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Like Brad said, you can just wiggle the end caps to get them off. If you need to, use a small flathead screwdriver....very easy to do

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So i got up this morning and figured i would try and get atleast the crossbars and covers off the roof rack because i only have one torx bit. Well, it just so happens that ONE bit i had was the one i needed, so here are some before and after pics...

Before

After

The only thing i didnt do was put some sealant on the screws, what kind did you guys use??

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
If you just reinstall the bolts, just use enough sealant to wipe around the bolt threads about two threads worth. Any RTV, thread sealant, or silicone will work fine.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thanks for the compliment!!

Ok, so i can use any sealant, im thinking about painting the bolts a brownish color so that they blend in a little better, they stick out since they are black, will this mess up the threads on the bolts??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts