Explorer Talk banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Is there a certain paint i should use or will regular spray paint work??

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
cool, thanks.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I didn't use any sealer on my bolts, and I haven't had any problems. Also, I just painted my bolts with touch up paint. Looks great!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
those are torx bolts, you just need the correct size "torx" bit to fit.

I took mine off for a day but didn't care for the look on mine for some reason. I got some of those license plate caps from Wal Mart and put them over the screws, I got them in chrome but I didn't like how they looked, It might not look too bad on a dark color if you got the black ones

[attachment=10492:pics_517_1030.jpg]

I don't have any better pics

I think that's why I want the roof rails from the Suburban. They clean up the roof line after the rack removal.

I'm not a fan of the "nipple look" left by the bolts in there.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I like the idea of the Suburban strips but I didn't want them to stand out so much on the silver. I almost though of having them painted body color but just put my painted rack back on, then I wound up with the chrome.

Someone needs to come up with a nice looking paintable molding that would cover the holes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pulled mine off tonight. Looks much better. Didn't realize the middle screws were going to stick up so much more than the others. I guess I just have to live with it?

Also - on mine, didn't even have to worry about the middle covers - just took the fronts & rears off, then slid the entire thing backwards (i think) and just lifted it up...Pretty easy - easier than most of these "simple mods" end up being for me

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sorry, bringing this post back. I finally got my Suburban roof rails. Actually got 4 in case I screw up, so if it works, I'll have an extra set.

I can't remember if the guy I got this idea from left the screws out and sealed the hole or not. It can't be possible to put the rails OVER the screws. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Just removed my roof racks today and damn, I think those bolts stick out like a sore thumb. I am not sure what to do. To be honest, at this point I actually think having the chromse roof racks on is better than having it off?

Is there any way to remove those "washers" that is planted on the roof? I think if I can remove them then it would look much better after painting the bolts.

To me, they r noticable cuz I know they r there ha. But for everyone who doesnt know might not notice. But my concern is that after I lower it, it is going to be much more noticable

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
those washer looking things on the roof are the nutcert's that have the threads for the bolts to attach to the roof, if you take them out then there will just be a hole and no way to put the bolts back into the roof. I didn't like how much they stuck up when I did it to my X so I put the rack back on, I think some kind of strip to cover the holes is the best way to cover them.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
ah i see you put them back on, hmm. I got you about the washer, that is what I figured but I thought I should ask anyway.

I am seriously considering the same thing. just sticks out too much for me to be able to live with lol. Unless I find some kind of a solution.

And I got you about the washer, that is what I figured but I thought I should ask anyway. Thanks

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
You can go to a hardware store and get the matching thread in a smaller bolt....I believe some guys on explorer forums did that, not sure what size they got. I did see the after pics and it looked much better, but I just never took the time to do it myself. I just put the bolts back in and painted them with touch up paint. It bothered me as well at first, but after a few days I didn't really notice it anymore.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yeah I see I am thinking about buying touch up paint and then paint my bolts.. and maybe I will try my best to paint those "built in" washers so it would not be seen.

and I dont think buying a different bolt would make any difference?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
You can get a shorter one that is beveled or whatever at the top so it will sit flush with the roof. I've been looking on explorer forums but haven't been able to find anything. I painted the bolts and washers without a problem....and it looks better than a roof rack imo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
21 - 40 of 43 Posts